BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
operakala
Calcite | Level 5

What are the main differences between SAS Studio and the PC SAS application (other than one is in a web browser and one is an installed application) ? Are there any pros/cons to using SAS Studio instead of the installed application? Would a user that has only used PC SAS have any difficulties moving to SAS Studio? the context of this question is not allowing PC SAS users to tunnel into a server to use SAS and instead requiring them to use SAS Studio on the server.

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Taken word-for-word from a 5 year old reddit post. https://www.reddit.com/r/sas/comments/83993c/sas_studio_vs_pc_sas/

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

Desktop allows SAS to interact with local applications and files. A user can access (good) and save data (bad usually) locally on their computer including the C drive. This can be a security issue but can also be really great for interacting with VBS or PowerShell to automate filling out Excel files or creating reports. 

Files must be on the server or you need to set up a shared site between each user and the server. Using EG to manually move files is painful, I don't recommend it for power users, you need a method to have files shared. 

Servers are more powerful than desktop, though you can rsubmit to a server as well and use PC SAS to connect to a server installation as well. I believe the local/PC SAS method of working is going away generally though with cloud usage. 

Server SAS is equivalent to using a cloud tool versus a local tool in terms of the user point of view. 

ballardw
Super User

@Reeza wrote:

Servers are more powerful than desktop, though you can rsubmit to a server as well and use PC SAS to connect to a server installation as well. I believe the local/PC SAS method of working is going away generally though with cloud usage. 

With  the number of connection drops I've had this morning I'm not sure I can agree with the "more powerful" and my organization's IT department refuses to deal with any aspect of installing or maintaining SAS (probably because the licensing is from multiple funding streams and doesn't match the IT management model). So local  SAS it is (at least until I retire).

Reeza
Super User
Yup, with cloud/server you're at the mercy of your network connection!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation