BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DU
Obsidian | Level 7 DU
Obsidian | Level 7

Our analyst group has been asked to compare SAS Studio to Enterprise Guide.   Management would like to have developer's move towards SAS Studio as their primary tool for development/analysis.  We understand that SAS Studio will not allow you to handle capabiities such as the creation of Stored Processes.  Can anyone share their experience regarding SAS Studio and whether it is a viable replacement.

10 REPLIES 10
Paul_OldenKamp_org
Obsidian | Level 7

You might start with Phil Holland's 2015 SGF paper,

"SAS® Enterprise Guide or SAS® Studio: Which is Best for You?"

The link is http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings15/2683-2015.pdf

Paul

DU
Obsidian | Level 7 DU
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks. That was the first resource I reviewed.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Problem is the each has their own requirements. So the important part of your investigation should be your requirements.

Said that, EG as you already assumes is a more capable tool. Tha't probably because it has been around for quite some time now.

But I'm pretty sure that SAS Studio in the end will be a natural replacement.

When it's time for you to do the change, depends (again) on your requirements.

Can you elaborate what you mean by development?

EG is a good toll for Stored Process creation, ad-hoc analysis and persona programming.

If you have ETL like development, neither of the tools suffice (DI Studio is the right choice for SAS ETL).

Data never sleeps
DU
Obsidian | Level 7 DU
Obsidian | Level 7
Development from the standpoint of Stored Processes. I should have used a better term. We provide 'tools' by means of detailed reports for our various customers. For example, we have 'developed' a tool for select users to alert them to issues with material that they manage. It checks many SAS tables and can use RED YELLOW GREEN indicators to highlight potential issues.
AmyP_sas
SAS Employee

You are correct that Studio doesn't provide a development environment for stored processes like EG does.  We do have some experimental functionality in Studio to read existing stored processes & display them as Studio tasks.  But I was hoping to drill in a bit more into your use of stored processes since we're trying to enhance the Studio task model to provide an alternative.  Have you looked into creating tasks in Studio & if so, what were the things that you wanted to do that tasks didn't support?  Looking for use cases to help drive development.

DU
Obsidian | Level 7 DU
Obsidian | Level 7
We have only begun to review SAS Studio. I will talk to the team to get you more details.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Well if stored process development is a requirement it seems like a no brainer. Stay on EG until SAS Studio supports stored processes, at least for those developers.
Data never sleeps
DU
Obsidian | Level 7 DU
Obsidian | Level 7

Agreed, but it is a management issue and have been asked to review both even though we know that EG is more robust and mature than Studio.  It might be a better choice as it increases its capabilities.

jennifert
SAS Employee

Hi DU,

Another resource that might be of some help is the SAS Studio FAQ, which you can access here:  

SAS Studio Help Center.

thanks,

Jennifer

Catch the SAS Global Forum keynotes, announcements, and tech content!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

DU
Obsidian | Level 7 DU
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks... I will check it out!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation