BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

I am trying to connect to SAS Studio through WRDS, but after signing in the server fails to respond and it gets stuck at "signing in" message. 

I have deleted my history, cookies, and everything else, but still I cannot login. I have reseted my Macbook and used different browers. My internet seems also be up to speed. 

Does anyone have any suggestions what to do? I need to work on a code to finish a table that I wanted to show a co-author. 

Cheers
Y

SAS Studio.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Ok, unfortunately that would be a custom installation and you would need to check with WRDS or Wharton support directly. 

I would suggest the standards of restarting your computer, clearing cache/cookies to ensure a direct log in and making sure you're using the latest version of the browsers and OS, but it sounds like you've already done all of that. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Reeza
Super User

Are you using SAS Studio via Academics on Demand, or SAS Studio via University Edition, or a custom install?

Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

I am not sure which one it is but I am using the SAS Studio provided on WRDS, which can be accessed by the following link:

https://wrds-cloud.wharton.upenn.edu/SASStudio/

Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

@Reeza, SAS Studio on WRDS seems to be a little bit different than the ones you have listed. On WRDS it states that: "SAS Studio is an interface to the SAS server running on the WRDS environment."

So I assume if people can connect to SAS Studio via Academics on Demand or via University Edition, then I think there may be an issue with the WRDS servers. However, I have double checked with two collegues and they seem to have access to SAS Studio via WRDS. I am not sure why I cannot login though since I was able to login last night. 

Reeza
Super User

Ok, unfortunately that would be a custom installation and you would need to check with WRDS or Wharton support directly. 

I would suggest the standards of restarting your computer, clearing cache/cookies to ensure a direct log in and making sure you're using the latest version of the browsers and OS, but it sounds like you've already done all of that. 

Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

Exactly, you are right. It is a custom installation issue on WRDS's side. One of my collegues informed me today that he also cannot sign in SAS Studio via WRDS. Unforunately, WRDS and Wharton support are all closed over the weekend.

Just as a general suggestion to anyone using SAS Studio, SAVE YOUR CODE on your computer as well. Since all of my work is saved only on SAS Studio, I cannot work on my codes now since the system is down due to an error on WRDS' side.

Thanks for your replies, @Reeza.  

mkeintz
PROC Star

@Yegen  Do you and your colleague have WRDS accounts?  (not class accounts - your accounts have to be (usually) a Ph.D. student or faculty account authorized by the wrds rep at your business grad school).

I don't think there is an problem with the WRDS sas/studio server.  I just now logged in successfully via my wrds account, and got sas/studio going with no problem.   But note that there will be downtime tomorrow to update sas/studio to version 3.6.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

@mkeintz Of course, we all do have WRDS accounts. That's how we access usually SAS Studio (i.e., via WRDS). 

I contacted the support team of WRDS last Saturday regarding the issue. I received a reply this morning stating that SAS Studio was down this weekend and the issue was noticed around 8:30 AM by the administrators of WRDS. They apparently fixed immediately the issue and SAS Studio was accessibe via WRDS again. So probably when you tried to enter SAS Studio via WRDS, the issue was already fixed. However, last weekend no one was able to access it. I was able to access SAS Studio via WRDS around 11 PM last Friday, but could not access SAS Studio via WRDS after 3pm on Saturday. So the issue probably happened sometime between that time.

That said, the issue is fixed now, so all is good. But just as a suggestion, this issue thought me a lesson: ALWAYS KEEP A COPY OF YOUR CODE ON YOUR LOCAL DRIVER. When the system has an issue, then it's impossible to access your code. 

Cheers. 

mkeintz
PROC Star

@Yegen

There is another way to get to code generated by SAS studio at WRDS, which I will describe by direct email.  There's nothing particularly secret about what I'll be sending, (it involves logging on to your account via SSH), but I'll try not to clutter a SAS forum with too much wrds-specific information.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

Yegen
Pyrite | Level 9

@mkeintz Thanks very much for pointing this out. I didn't think of that alternative solution. I guess this is the wisdom of the crow. 🙂 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation