BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ewgrashorn
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear SAS Users,

The version of SAS Studio that I use was recently upgraded to 3.6 (full details below) and it includes a very annoying 'feature' that automatically generates a close parenthesis every time I type an open parenthesis.  I cannot figure out how to turn it off.  I have already turned off 'hint' and 'autocomplete' (which are also very annoying) but cannot figure out how to remove this feature.  Please advise.

Thanks,

Eric

Release: 3.6 (Basic Edition)

Supported browsers:

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
  • Mozilla Firefox 21+
  • Google Chrome 27+
  • Apple Safari 6.0+ (on Apple OS X)

Build date: Apr 20, 2017 3:45:50 PM
SAS Mid-tier release: Apr 18, 2017 2:38:00 PM
Java Version: 1.7.0_111
SAS release: 9.04.01M4P11092016
SAS platform: Linux LIN X64 2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64
Site name: ########
Site number: #######

Copyright © 2012-2017, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
samdupont
SAS Employee

@Reeza @ChrisBrooks

Hi, 

The following options will be added to a future release of SAS Studio. Users will have the ability to:

Turn on/off - Auto-closing of brackets                    

Turn on/off - Highlight matching brackets

We realize that this does not help you now, but I just wanted to let you know that it is on the roadmap.

Samantha

UI Designer for SAS Studio

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Reeza
Super User

Note that I've modified your post to remove the Site Name/Number from public view.

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

I'm sorry but I don't think it's possible - if it's any consolation I found it a bit annoying at first but I've got used to it now...

Reeza
Super User

All the IDE's seem to do it, and not just parentheses, square brackes and quotes as well. It took me a while to realize that once I typed the end parentheses it 'used' that one.  And when editing code it's super annoying because it doesn't always add a parentheses, it sometimes uses one that's there but it isn't correct because you changed it. It does helpfully highlight the matching parentheses so you know that your function/operation is closed. 

samdupont
SAS Employee

@Reeza @ChrisBrooks

Hi, 

The following options will be added to a future release of SAS Studio. Users will have the ability to:

Turn on/off - Auto-closing of brackets                    

Turn on/off - Highlight matching brackets

We realize that this does not help you now, but I just wanted to let you know that it is on the roadmap.

Samantha

UI Designer for SAS Studio

ewgrashorn
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks a lot for the reply, Samantha, and for listening to SAS Studio users.

-eric
Michelle
Obsidian | Level 7

Just adding my vote to be able to disable the matching parentheses... and quotes... and comments.

Thanks!

IJU
Fluorite | Level 6 IJU
Fluorite | Level 6

Adding my vote for “no auto matching punctuation” ‘too. Here is a partial list of missing editor features that are available, e.g., in a freeware Notepad++ (and in the Enhanced Editor).

1. Editor option to customize code colorizations/highlighting. The literals (variable names, functions, name it) should have greater contrast: it hurts one’s eyes to read light grey text.
  2. Allow typing in the code editor area when the ‘Find and Replace’ dialog box is open.
  3. Keep cursor position when switching between the Code tab and other tabs.
  4. Copy all code formats/highlights to a clipboard.

Other features:

1. Display multiple tabs on one web page, e.g., multiple open dataset tabs next to each other to compare data.
  2. Add file details in the list of files in folders and folder shortcuts and allow sort/filter at least by file type and dates.
  3. Add a sort by name feature in the list of columns of the open dataset.

Thanks.

samdupont
SAS Employee

@IJU 

Just wanted to let you know that you can perform one of the items on your wish list now. You can view two tabs side-by-side - either vertically or horizontally. Click and drag a tab (very slowly) to the right (or bottom) of the Studio screen. 

Tab_sideByside.png

The other items you mentioned are on the road map for a future release.

Samantha DuPont

Usability Designer for SAS Studio and Enterprise Guide

IJU
Fluorite | Level 6 IJU
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you, Samantha!

Smiley Happy

IJU
Fluorite | Level 6 IJU
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Samantha,

The “view two tabs side-by-side” feature does not work properly. I have just started using it and ran into an issue nearly right away.

All the tabs including code and dataset tabs disappeared. Resetting the session did not help. The mouse pointer did not move.

I could not do anything other than signing out. Our Studio is installed on the SAS Grid. The sign out did not properly worked and I had to ‘bkill’  my Studio Grid jobs. Here is a screenshot of what I was stuck with: variable names only and nothing else. The datasets were empty and I had to compare column names/order only.

IJU
Fluorite | Level 6 IJU
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Samantha,

When are we getting the option to control annoying Auto-closing of brackets in SAS Studio?  It is not in Release 3.71 yet.
There is an issue with Highlight matching brackets: SAS Studio does not distinguish between literal brackets and syntax brackets.
Freeware Notepad++ works perfectly: it matches literal and syntax brackets separately. See a screenshot attached. 

Thanks,
--IJU

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 6 in conversation