BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bluemountains
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

Is there a way to increase speed of SAS studio. Its really very slow on my windows computer. What checks do I need to do to resolve this issue?

Many thanks,

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User

Are you talking about SAS UE? I've found it quite quick for what it is intended. 

What is slow for you? What types of Procs are you running?

And what specs have you set for the VM? You can increase the RAM but not the # of cores. 

If this is referring to SAS Academics on Demand, your limited by your internet speed and the severs in NC. 

bluemountains
Obsidian | Level 7
I am using SAS UE. It takes a while SAS UE to load in my computer which is slow for me. I am using it to prepare for my certifications so my work is very basic. How do I increase the RAM for VM. I have done no settings for it and I dont know how to proceed with that.
Reeza
Super User

Shut down VM 

change settings in VirtualBox 

restart VM 

bluemountains
Obsidian | Level 7
What setting is to be changed in VirtualBox, mine is oracle
Reeza
Super User

Change the RAM assigned to something larger than the default but less than half your laptop RAM. 

Note that an older machine will be slower. 

ballardw
Super User

How slow is "slow" and what size data sets and procedures?

Also what may be going on in the background? If you have something trying to update that can eat a lot of clock cycles (and for days it seems like sometimes).

How many other programs running concurrently? Streaming music or video?

Cordian
Calcite | Level 5

I also have the same problem. Did you eventually manage to increase the speed?

Reeza
Super User

@Cordian wrote:

I also have the same problem. Did you eventually manage to increase the speed?

Did you update your RAM? SAS UE runs locally, so its dependent on your machine.

Cordian
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Reeza

My RAM for my pc is 2GB and I think the VM installed is the latest update, but then my pc crashes whenever i open SAS. If I may ask, SAS UE is different to just a normal SAS studio? maybe then I can install it if its a different software

And, thanks for willing to helpSmiley Happy

Reeza
Super User
No, SAS UE is running SAS Studio through a virtual machine. However you can also have SAS / SAS Studio installed without using a virtual machine, if you have a paid license and installation.

2GB of RAM for your entire machine, or assigned to the virtual machine? You're going to be limited in speed then. I know the technical requirement is 1GB but 2GB is going to be painful to be honest.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation