BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ddormer
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to upload the CDC's BRFSS2015.XPT file.  The file is 917 MB so well within the %GB space allowed.  However, after one hour, SAS ODA times out and the upload is cancelled.  Can I extend the time out to more than one hour?  If so, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ddormer
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses.  Ultimately, I was unable to upload the file to SAS ODA- the same size and type file I used to handle without an issue with University Edition locally.  Instead, I imported the ASC version of the CDC file into Excel, cleaned it up and exported it as a CSV file, which I then analyzed using Python.

I really like the new ODA interface, but that doesn't matter if I can't upload the big files (427k X 272) that I need.  I'm sure there's a solution.  I just didn't find it in the time I had.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Did you try using URL filename engine or PROC HTTP to just pull the file from their website?  Do you have a link to the file?

Ddormer
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you. I did not try pulling the site directly from the CDC site. It's a zip file, so I thought it would be easier to unzip locally then upload. Do you advise pulling the zipped file and unzipping it within SAS Studio? Alternatively, could I upload the zip file from my computer then unzip it? I am an infrequent SAS user, so my skills are limited. Thanks in advance for your guidance.
ballardw
Super User

Are you trying to load it directly from the CDC site or did you copy it to your computer and load from there?

The CDC websites have traffic issues and can run pretty slow from time to time which might be an issue if that is what you attempted.

Ddormer
Obsidian | Level 7
I downloaded the file and unzipped it on my computer. My upload speed is quite good but my upload speed is only about 2 MBS via satellite. Even so, that should not require more than an hour to upload. At 2MBS, I should be less than 10 minutes, so all I can think is that it's a delay on the SAS side?

Open to ideas.

Thank you.
Ddormer
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you. No, I am not trying to upload directly from CDC
Reeza
Super User
I thought On Demand had an upload limit, unless you have an exception somehow or an instructor?
If you aren't you may be running into the limit though it usually warns you.
Ddormer
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the comment.  The only limit I've seen is the 5GB limit for total upload and storage, which I'm not close to.  If there is an upload file size limit, please let me know what it is or send me to the right source. 

Thank you.

Ddormer
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses.  Ultimately, I was unable to upload the file to SAS ODA- the same size and type file I used to handle without an issue with University Edition locally.  Instead, I imported the ASC version of the CDC file into Excel, cleaned it up and exported it as a CSV file, which I then analyzed using Python.

I really like the new ODA interface, but that doesn't matter if I can't upload the big files (427k X 272) that I need.  I'm sure there's a solution.  I just didn't find it in the time I had.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation