BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mariaroman
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have been using SAS University Edition and I just wanted to ask how I can cite SAS University Edition (version??) in the document and which reference of the programme I should include in the reference list.

With many thanks,

Francisca

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If you are trying to document an underlying statistical procedure, most researchers refer to the underlying version of SAS or SAS/STAT (ETS, IML, OR,...) software.  For example, in the text you might say. "We implemented the algorithm by using the IML procedure in SAS/IML 14.1 software."

or

"We computed the descriptive statistics by using the MEANS procedure in SAS 9.4 software."

In a bibliography, the typical reference is to the documentation.  You can find the correct bibliographic citation in the PDF version of the documentation, on the page after the title page. For example, the SAS/IML 14.1 User's Guide has the following sentence:

"The correct bibliographic citation for this manual is as follows: SAS Institute Inc. 2015. SAS/IML® 14.1 User’s Guide. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc."

Of course, if you are writing about a particular interface, you can also refer to the documentation for those products. See the web page for all SAS product docs and click on the PDF link for the product.

SAS University Edition has it's own product page. 

In summary, if you want to talk about the analysis, reference the underlying procedure or product. Only referene the interface if that is the topic of your paper (for example, "How to install SAS Univeristy Edition.")

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

If you are trying to document an underlying statistical procedure, most researchers refer to the underlying version of SAS or SAS/STAT (ETS, IML, OR,...) software.  For example, in the text you might say. "We implemented the algorithm by using the IML procedure in SAS/IML 14.1 software."

or

"We computed the descriptive statistics by using the MEANS procedure in SAS 9.4 software."

In a bibliography, the typical reference is to the documentation.  You can find the correct bibliographic citation in the PDF version of the documentation, on the page after the title page. For example, the SAS/IML 14.1 User's Guide has the following sentence:

"The correct bibliographic citation for this manual is as follows: SAS Institute Inc. 2015. SAS/IML® 14.1 User’s Guide. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc."

Of course, if you are writing about a particular interface, you can also refer to the documentation for those products. See the web page for all SAS product docs and click on the PDF link for the product.

SAS University Edition has it's own product page. 

In summary, if you want to talk about the analysis, reference the underlying procedure or product. Only referene the interface if that is the topic of your paper (for example, "How to install SAS Univeristy Edition.")

trickeration
Obsidian | Level 7

I am hoping for some clarification. If I am reading this right, then SAS Studio is using SAS release: 9.04.01M4P11092016 ?

2017-05-02_1955.png

Is that SAS version 9.0 from 2002? I appreciate help with this detail.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

No. This is SAS 9.4m4 ("maintenance 4), which was released in late 2016.  It is the most recent version of SAS.

trickeration
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for explaining that. I was definitely having trouble deciphering and differentiating the digits after SAS Release and Site Name.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

For more about those system variables that reveal the SAS version, see "Determine the version of SAS software at run time."

trickeration
Obsidian | Level 7
SYSVER is just what I need. Thank you for directing me to your blog post.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation