BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChristosK
Quartz | Level 8

My SAS Studio is refusing to perform any functions.

I get error messages stating that there is no space left on device .

8 REPLIES 8
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

How much spasce was assigned to the VM? Keep in mind that this error refers to disc space

ChristosK
Quartz | Level 8

I just reinstalled SAS University edition and reassigned 8GB of RAM to this. Seems to have done the trick.

Cheers,

ChristosK

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Glad it worked out 🙂

Reeza
Super User

This is a common issue. Another workaround is to set the WORK library to a different location, like your myfolders. Or set up a USER library that's in a separate location so you can save files to an area with no space limitations. SAS UE does have 20GB by default so that's enough for some analysis but not necessarily all. It's designed to be a teaching tool not necessarily for production. If that's your requirement SAS also has student or academic editions for a low cost. 

libname user '/folders/myfolders/temp/';

If you do this, remember to periodically clean it up since SAS won't do it automatically. 

ChristosK
Quartz | Level 8

Good Evening Reeza:

Since I make frequent  usage of data steps that create temporary work files, I'm not sure how and when using the "libname user .." command should be done.

Theres another database I'm using that has several million patients. I can barely do anything with it when saving to work files so have had to save every step as a permanent file. Now I am beginning to understand why.

I wish I could gave the student or academic edition. When I did my Epidemiology degree, we had an institution specific version of SAS 9.4 Base, which wee were allowed to use for another year, but that was taken away.

SAS is not allowing us to purchase this under any circumstances, and will not sell me any academic edition unless I am affiliated with any institution.

I've seriously thought about taking another loan to buy my own private version of 9.4 Base, but whenever I approached SAS about this they always encouraged me to try and get by with the browser version - University Edition.  I must be the only person in my graduating class without appropriate employment or affiliation as everyone else has the full version.

Exiting whining mode......

So by writing this evert time you start a new program , are you setting up a separate location for the tempo file, or you only have to do this once? I'm not sure of you are saying that we have to do Two separate libname statements evert time ?

libname user '/folders/myfolders/temp/'; 

Reeza
Super User

Unfortunately that is correct, if you're not affiliated with an academic institution or work you can't get a license. 

SAS UE has handled several million rows on a regular basis with this mod. 

Add it to your Autoexec so it happens automatically when you start up SAS UE. 

There's also SAS Academics on Demand, Independent Learner, which is on the cloud. Others have said its much faster but it does have a data set limit. That size is 10MB for uploaded files. 

ChristosK
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for that.

How do I do this:?

"Add it to your Autoexec so it happens automatically when you start up SAS UE."

Unfortunately there are Data Use Agreements in effect for some of the databases, so even though there will be no HIPAA violations, I cannot upload some of these databases onto a cloud platform.

More questions coming up.....

Reeza
Super User

Click the little three lines at the top of the browser window in SAS UE. Choose Edit Auto Exec.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation