BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
laurenhosking
Quartz | Level 8

I’m doing a linear regression between race time (y-axis) and average training speed in the month prior to the race( xaxis) which would be my dependent variable and which my continuous. I have time as my dependant is this right or the other way round 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Adding to @PaigeMiller comments...

Since training precedes the race, and a mechanism can be hypothesed to link training to race performance, I would consider training as an independent variable and race performance as a dependent variable. I.e. "Your race performance depends, to some extent, on your training", but not much the other way around.

PG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@laurenhosking wrote:

I’m doing a linear regression between race time (y-axis) and average training speed in the month prior to the race( xaxis) which would be my dependent variable and which my continuous. I have time as my dependant is this right or the other way round 

Well, normally this is something you have to decide, which variable is independent and which variable is dependent. You decide based upon your knowledge of the subject matter. If changes in one variable are thought to possibly be the cause of the change of the other variable, then the cause is the independent variable and the result in the dependent variable. (Example: adding more soap to water increases the amount of suds) If they are both correlated, but one is not thought to be the cause of the other, then linear regression doesn't particularly make sense (example: you have measured height and weight of individuals).

So which case is your case? That's really up to you, but I lean toward the latter.

PS: your usage of "xaxis" and "y-axis" is not helpful, and you can't designate variables thus until you decide which is the independent variable, that one (according to the almost universal practice) is plotted on the x-axis.

--
Paige Miller
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Adding to @PaigeMiller comments...

Since training precedes the race, and a mechanism can be hypothesed to link training to race performance, I would consider training as an independent variable and race performance as a dependent variable. I.e. "Your race performance depends, to some extent, on your training", but not much the other way around.

PG
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, @PGStats, I can see how you could argue this one either way. And this particular issue may not be relevant for a beginner anyway.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation