BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RBRoma
Fluorite | Level 6

I am working with a dataset of time spent at the gym in SAS Studio.  This includes an ID, time-in, and time-out.  I have 119 columns for time-in and 119 for time-out.  I was able to input the data using the variable list in the screenshot attached.  Is there a similar way to perform gym_visit1 = out1 - in1 to get the amount of time spent at the gym per session without writing 119 different calculations?  Thank you. 

2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

The usual method for processing many variables in the same fashion is to use arrays:

data want;

set have;

array in {119} in1-in119;

array out {119} out1-out119;

array diff {119} gym_visit1-gym_visit119;

do _n_=1 to 119;

if out{_n_} > . then diff{_n_} = out{_n_} - in{_n_};

end;

run;

Alternatively, you could have macro language generate 119 statements for you.  In its simplest form:

%macro differ;

%local j;

%do j=1 %to 119;

gym_visit&j = out&j - in&j;

end;

%mend differ;

data want;

set have;

%differ

run;

More complex macro coding would let you control how many statements to generate (instead of hard-coding 119), or the names of the incoming and outgoing variables.  In this case, simplest seems appropriate.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@RBRoma

Everything will become simple if you transpose your wide data structure to a long data structure. 

Using the code you've posted below amended code (not tested as no sample data available) should do the trick:

data newyear(keep=id t_in t_out) ;
  infile '/folders/myshortcuts/SAS/SAS HW #2/Data_Assignment2/NewYears.dat' dsd truncover ;
  input id (in1-in119 out1-out119) (:time8.) ;
  format in1-in119 out1-out119 time8.;
  array a_in {*} in:;
  array a_out {*} out:;
  do _i=1 to dim(a_in);
    t_in=a_in[_i];
    t_out_t=a_out[_i];
    if cmiss(t_in,t_out)>0 then output;
  end;
run;

data gymvisit;
  set newyear;
  duration_in_sec = t_in - t_out;
  format duration_in_sec time8.;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation