BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
agbpilot
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, I'm receiving this error in my log after importing several data sources and then attempting to join them together.  The import of each of the 5 data sources appears to be working Ok.  It's when I attempt to join them using Proc SQL that I get this error.  Any tips or ideas on how I can resolve?

I'm confused because it seems to relate to the "Work" space being insufficient.  However, previously I ran this same program with the same amount of records, same files being imported just fine without encountering this error.  The data or files being imported has not changed from before I got the error to now.

Appreciate it,

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Not good. UE has a nasty tendency to fill its virtual machine with remnants of crashed SAS sessions. I have made a ballot ware suggestion to make UE more resilient.

If you search this website, you'll find one thread where a method to do surgery on the image is described. But the safest (or simplest) bet is a reinstallation of the VM.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User

Talk to your server admin, you may have a limit on the size of your work library. 

In fact, you possibly have old files lying around from times SAS has crashed that haven't been properly cleaned up and are causing part of the issue. You can temporarily create a user library which will default to work and that will function as a workaround. 

libname user '/folders/myfolders/';
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Not good. UE has a nasty tendency to fill its virtual machine with remnants of crashed SAS sessions. I have made a ballot ware suggestion to make UE more resilient.

If you search this website, you'll find one thread where a method to do surgery on the image is described. But the safest (or simplest) bet is a reinstallation of the VM.

agbpilot
Obsidian | Level 7
Ok thanks Kurt. Will try the reinstall approach.
Reeza
Super User

The user library works for this workaround, basically set it up if you're working with large files and then manually remember to clear your temp library every few days/weeks as needed.

agbpilot
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Reeza, thanks. How do I setup a user library for large files? How do I
clear my temp library?

Appreciate it.

Andy
Reeza
Super User

@agbpilot wrote:
Hi Reeza, thanks. How do I setup a user library for large files? 

Exactly like I showed above. When there's a user library, sas defaults to the user library rather than WORK.

How do I
clear my temp library?

You can use PROC DATASETS to delete datasets in the library, or if you do it to a different path, you can manually go in and periodically delete all the files.

agbpilot
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi, I'm confused. How exactly can I use proc datasets to clear my "work"
space? Doesn't the "work" temporary library only operate when the
programming session is open or on? When I close SAS the work library goes
away and all of the data contained there in, correct? How can proc datasets
help? In an attempt to remedy the error, I shut down SAS and the virtual
machine completely. Then I restarted SAS and the error persisted when I
ran the program again. I did this several times. Finally I had to
uninstall and reinstall SAS per Kurt's advice. This worked!

Andy
Reeza
Super User

@agbpilot wrote:
Hi, I'm confused. How exactly can I use proc datasets to clear my "work"
space?

Andy

Check the documentation. 

@agbpilot wrote:
 Doesn't the "work" temporary library only operate when the
programming session is open or on? When I close SAS the work library goes
away and all of the data contained there in, correct? 

Andy

Yes, but SAS UE is not good at cleaning the space all the time so if you work with large files you'll run into this issue again. So the workaround for SAS UE is to move your work library from the VM to your local drive via a USER library. If there's a library called USER SAS defaults all single level name to the USER library. But SAS doesn't automatically clean the USER library up at the end of the session so that's up to you. This is a workaround for SAS UE because it's intended as a teaching tool, not a production/full research tool. If you want that type of usage you need the full product. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation