BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
geoffatkins
Calcite | Level 5

Previously while working with the standard installed version of SAS 9.3 installed on a windows machine, you could copy data from excel table to SAS work space without a problem.

I recently installed the free university edition of SAS and tried doing the same unsuccessfully. After playing about with the data for a little while, I realized that if you copy data directly from excel, SAS interprets different columns as white spaces/ tabs and merges data causing  an erroneous data table.

To correct this you would need to remove tabs/ white spaces from your data in excel before copying into SAS university edition. You can do this in text file (note pad) or using the tool provided here: Remove Extra Whitespace and Tab Space

Hopefully this saves someone some headache!

7 REPLIES 7
AnnaBrown
Community Manager

This is great, thanks for the tip, geoffatkins!

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

Tsegazaab
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for the exact answer. Helpful.

Cheer up!

YTH
Calcite | Level 5 YTH
Calcite | Level 5

I noticed that I cannot copy data from excel and paste it on SAS studio today.

Thanks a lot for providing the information to solve the problem.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What is the issue with pasting values from Excel into SAS/Studio?

I don't have any issue copy and pasting into SAS/studio interface running a full version of SAS and using Chrome as the brower.

Note that I have the Editor option to automatically convert tabs into spaces checked. 

YTH
Calcite | Level 5 YTH
Calcite | Level 5
If you just copy data from excel or your computer SAS software, then the
SAS studio cannot read that data that you paste. So, I need to replace
white space and tabs with a single space in order to let SAS studio read
the data correctly.

I am using Mac with Safari for my SAS studio
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I still not sure I understand the issue. 

Are you saying you can't get it to copy and paste?  Are you using mouse buttons or pressing keys to copy and paste? Try using the other way if one doesn't work.

Or are you saying the value that is pasted is garbled in some way?  If so how is it garbled? 

Is it pasting it like a block copy so that the inserted text is mixed with the text that is already on the following lines?  If so then perhaps you should just paste to the end of the file and then move it where you want it. Or paste into a separate editor window.

SaraAguilar
Calcite | Level 5

GOD BLESS YOU!!!! YOU SAVED ME!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation