BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

SAS University Edition does not seem to be able to process my large dataset (5,220,936 observations and 7 variables). I am simply trying to sort the dataset, for now, but it runs for hours without any resolution.

All I see is the "Running..." message (See attached).

I am using SAS University Edition and the Oracle VM. Most recent versions of both. The base memory on the VM is 1024

I have worked with this same dataset succesfully in the past on the same Mac - different version of Mac OS - and same browser, Chrome. 

Is this a settings issue? Any clues how to resolve it?

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
Reeza
Super User
Change your cores to 2 and up the RAM, 1GB for a 5GB isn't great. Also, you'll need to redirect your work library out. I believe the image is only 10 or 20 GB and the space needed for a 5GB file sort is roughly 3X so 15GB so it may not exist, but redirecting your work may help with that, not sure. Some options to try.
_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

@Reeza 

<you'll need to redirect your work library out.>

Could you please help me understand how to do this?

Thanks.

Reeza
Super User
Create a library called user, that points to your C drive somewhere is the quickest/laziest way. Then single level names will go there instead of work. If you've referred to them as work.dataSetName they'll still go to work. If you refer to a data set as dataSetName it will go to user library.
ballardw
Super User

@_maldini_ wrote:

I have worked with this same dataset succesfully in the past on the same Mac - different version of Mac OS - and same browser, Chrome. 

Thank you.

Same machine, same browser, different OS and doesn't work.

I would strongly suspect something involving the OS is involved. Perhaps the interaction with the VM is different. Or if the VM was updated from last time this worked. There have been a number of issues involving VM upgrades and the SAS University Edition.

If you post which version of OS, VM and Chrome you might get some places to look from other MAC users.

_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

<Or if the VM was updated from last time this worked.>

Yes, it was just updated.

MacOS Mojave 10.14.5

Chrome version 76.0.3809.36 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)
Oracle VM v
ersion 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.6.3)

ballardw
Super User

@_maldini_ wrote:

MacOS Mojave 10.14.5

Oracle VM v

@_maldini_ wrote:

MacOS Mojave 10.14.5

Oracle VM v

Might try backing out the VM to an earlier version.

_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

** New Problem **

In an attempt to determine whether the problem was associated with limitations in hard drive capacity per the VM settings, I removed all other SAS programs, datasets, etc. from the myfolders folder. This was an attempt to free up disk space.

It didn't solve the problem.

When I added the folders back to the myfolders folder, there is no syntax in any SAS program. The SAS programs files are there, but they are empty. The syntax is missing (See screenshot). The syntax is available when I open the .sas programs with a text editor, but not when I use SAS.

Any idea how to remedy this?

Reeza
Super User

@_maldini_ wrote:

In an attempt to determine whether the problem was associated with limitations in hard drive capacity per the VM settings, I removed all other SAS programs, datasets, etc. from the myfolders folder. This was an attempt to free up disk space.

It didn't solve the problem.

Everything in myfolders is stored locally, not in the VM. Moving them around shouldn't have changed anything. Is your myfolders set to your computer or to a cloud drive such as Box, Google Drive, OneDrive or iCloud? That can sometimes cause issues.

_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

@Reeza I removed, and then re-added, the shared folder and the problem is resolved. Thanks for your help.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation