BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tonycord
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello there!

Is there a way to add a server folder to StudioV explorer? I am used to see my home folder on SAS Viya server installation (like the one in the picture below), but I would like to add another server folder, like /tmp or /shared.

tonycord_0-1668730027639.png

Is it possible? If so, how?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

This is a setting that is decided by an administrator as part of the SAS Studio configuration. Config settings are documented in the admin guide here.

"SAS Studio V" refers to the SAS Studio version that is provided with SAS Viya 3.5. In addition to SAS Viya 3.5 in your enterprise, you might find this in SAS Viya for Learners (where this setting is disabled) or in SAS Analytics Pro on SAS Viya (where the setting is allowed...but an admin could change it).

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Right-click on the server name, select New, then Folder Link (or whatever it is in English, it's the last menu item; in German it is Ordnerverknüpfung).

Fill out the form, and Save.

tonycord
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Kurt_bremser, thanks for the help.

It seems the only file system folder available to add is my home folder. Is this some kind of admin defined limitation or something regular users can change?

tonycord_0-1668773810139.png

tonycord
Fluorite | Level 6
It is not possible to enter the path manually as the text field is disabled. The only way I can add is clicking on the 'Browse' button. however I don't know if this is something set by the administrator or normal behaviour.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I tested this on SAS On Demand. I entered /home as the path, and could then expand the new folder to show all the user's home directories. Not their contents, of course, but their names.

On Demand is quite restricted, so I am surprised you can't enter the path.

Maybe @ChrisHemedinger can provide some clue.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Do you have a SAS administrator in your company to look at these types of issues? It's possible there may be restrictions in your SAS installation that you are not aware of.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

This is a setting that is decided by an administrator as part of the SAS Studio configuration. Config settings are documented in the admin guide here.

"SAS Studio V" refers to the SAS Studio version that is provided with SAS Viya 3.5. In addition to SAS Viya 3.5 in your enterprise, you might find this in SAS Viya for Learners (where this setting is disabled) or in SAS Analytics Pro on SAS Viya (where the setting is allowed...but an admin could change it).

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
tonycord
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi ChrisHemedinger, the admin guide provided describe options that can address my issue, like fileNavigationRoot and fileNavigationCustomRootPath. Thank you for the information!
ballardw
Super User

Did you Select "Home" and see if the folder was added below Home?

It is very likely that your Admin wants every user to have exactly one "root" folder where all there data and projects reside.

The level where your "home" resides is directly subordinate to the server in your picture. So if you want to add a folder at the SERVER level, you will almost certainly need admin to set it up. And with permissions for you to use it. Are other users supposed to see this folder? Read or write to it? If not, it seems that placing a folder at the Server instead of in your Home is just causing problems for your admin for little gain.

For what little it may be worth, my local drive has a single point that ALL of my SAS projects are subordinate to. That way if I need to migrate or back things up I select one root folder and the subordinates get included. Non-SAS projects reside elsewhere.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation