BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

I am struggling to manage files in SAS OnDemand for Academics. Among other things, I am getting a message telling me I have reached the storage limit. In an effort to free up space I have started to delete files, folders and datasets. 

1. Do I have to delete every single file one by one? Is there a way to delete a folder that is not empty? 
  2. Is there is a trash bin I need to empty? I deleted many datasets and I'm still getting the same error message ("Your home directory is full. "
  3. Is there a way to determine the size of a folder or file? I'd like to find the largest folders and start there.
  4. How can I determine how much space is currently being utilized?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jenburry
SAS Employee

I have posted the answers to your questions below:

• You can delete multiple files in a folder by holding down the Ctrl button and selecting multiple files in the folder to delete. 
  • You can only delete folders that you previously created when they are empty of any files.
  • There is no trash bin to empty, once anything in SAS Studio is deleted, it will no longer remain, and there is no backup of it stored on the SAS servers.  As per the license agreement, you are solely responsible for the data or Content uploaded or accessed and for ensuring such data or Content is stored appropriately on your computer. SAS is not responsible for the accuracy of the data or Content, your use of the data or Content, or for any loss of data or Content. For the same reason, it is always a best practice to maintain downloaded backup copies of any important files that you intend to store on the ODA servers. The copies on the ODA servers should only be treated as temporary working copies.
  • There is a Quota Usage Tool that can be used to determine folder sizes and to find the largest folders.  Please see this link below for directions on how to use this tool:

How do I check my data storage quota?

• You can view your home directory use on the SAS OnDemand for Academics Welcome page by clicking on the data/folder icon in the column to the right, it will be at the top under your name.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jenburry
SAS Employee

I have posted the answers to your questions below:

• You can delete multiple files in a folder by holding down the Ctrl button and selecting multiple files in the folder to delete. 
  • You can only delete folders that you previously created when they are empty of any files.
  • There is no trash bin to empty, once anything in SAS Studio is deleted, it will no longer remain, and there is no backup of it stored on the SAS servers.  As per the license agreement, you are solely responsible for the data or Content uploaded or accessed and for ensuring such data or Content is stored appropriately on your computer. SAS is not responsible for the accuracy of the data or Content, your use of the data or Content, or for any loss of data or Content. For the same reason, it is always a best practice to maintain downloaded backup copies of any important files that you intend to store on the ODA servers. The copies on the ODA servers should only be treated as temporary working copies.
  • There is a Quota Usage Tool that can be used to determine folder sizes and to find the largest folders.  Please see this link below for directions on how to use this tool:

How do I check my data storage quota?

• You can view your home directory use on the SAS OnDemand for Academics Welcome page by clicking on the data/folder icon in the column to the right, it will be at the top under your name.

I hope this helps!

_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

Thanks @Jen!

I get an error message when I try to delete files in the folder "my_shared_file_links". 

"Insufficient authorization to access /‌home/‌user/‌my_shared_file_links/...."

Do you know how to remove these files and folders?

Thanks.
Reeza
Super User
I don't think those files count towards your space (could be wrong here) and they're from courses?
Rachel_McLawhon
SAS Employee

@Reeza is correct in that my_shared_file_links has its own storage capacity! You are unable to delete files from this location unless they are your files. Could the folder you're attempting to delete be from a course you "enrolled" in? It's likely that these files are someone else's that they have shared with you, which makes sense as to why you do not have access to delete them.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 4 in conversation