BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jz127323
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi, I have the following data step. But I find that the ID (_n_) is always equal to 1. 
Should it be 1, 2, ...10?
Thanks!

data Easyway; do Group='Placebo', 'Active'; do Subj=1 to 5; ID = _n_; input Score @; output; end; end; datalines; 250 222 230 210 199 166 183 123 129 234 ; run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Incomplete data step will not run, no DATA at the top

The _n_ variable indicates how many times the data step executes, i.e. hits the bottom of the code and starts over.

Where you are using _n_ is in a loop. So the value that it has at the start of the DO loop stays the same until the loop finishes and then hits the second end.

If I understand what you want try this:

data example;
   do Group='Placebo', 'Active';
		do Subj=1 to 5;
		    ID+1;
			input Score @; 
			output; 			
		end;
	end;
datalines;
250 222 230 210 199
166 183 123 129 234
;
run;

The statement ID+1 implies the ID value is retained across iterations of the data step and each time the statement is encountered in the loop 1 is added.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why would _N_ change?  You didn't do anything to make it change.  Like assigning it a value.  Or starting the next iteration of the data step, which is what normally makes _N_ increment.

What is the difference between SUBJ and ID in your dataset?

If you want ID to be 1 when GROUP is 'Placebo' and 2 then it is 'Active' then set its value inside the outer DO loop.

ID+1;
   do SUBJ=1 to 5;
ballardw
Super User

Incomplete data step will not run, no DATA at the top

The _n_ variable indicates how many times the data step executes, i.e. hits the bottom of the code and starts over.

Where you are using _n_ is in a loop. So the value that it has at the start of the DO loop stays the same until the loop finishes and then hits the second end.

If I understand what you want try this:

data example;
		do Subj=1 to 5;
		    ID+1;
			input Score @; 
			output; 			
		end;
	end;
datalines;
250 222 230 210 199
166 183 123 129 234
;
run;

The statement ID+1 implies the ID value is retained across iterations of the data step and each time the statement is encountered in the loop 1 is added.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation