BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AnnaCag
Calcite | Level 5

Hi 

I am trying to do the SAS Programming 1: Essentials course for a university assignment, I have absolutely no experience programming so I'm very new to this and sorry if I'm just being stupid! But the instructions say this: 

Start SAS Studio.

In the Files and Folders panel, navigate to the EPG1V2 folder that you created in Task 1.

Double-click setup.sas to open it. Don't run the code yet - you must edit the first line of code before you run it.

Expand the EPG1V2 folder in the Files and Folders pane. Right-click the data folder and select Properties. Highlight the file path shown in Location and copy it. Close the Folder Properties window.
In the Code window, edit the program as follows:

1. Highlight FILEPATH and paste the file path that you copied in the previous step.
  2. Do not make any other changes to the program.

but when I click on setup.sas I get this code:

/**********************************************/
/* DO NOT EDIT THE CODE BELOW */
/**********************************************/
%let path=~/EPG1V2/data;
libname PG1 "&path";

%include "&path/pg1v2.sas";

proc contents data=pg1._all_ nods;
run;

Which I assume isn't what I'm meant to get as it says not to edit it and doesn't say FILEPATH anywhere but I'm not sure why or what to do? 

Thanks in advance! 

3 REPLIES 3
a20121248
Obsidian | Level 7

The tilde (~) is a Linux "shortcut" to denote a user's home directory

So, if you have already unzipped folder in your path, just run the program, otherwise replace the tilde with the location of the folder.

%let path=~/EPG1V2/data;

There is a video with the instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?hd=1&v=rCZ9CoD-cmc&feature=youtu.be

Best regards,

Javier

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Those are the instructions for Coursera students. Depending on how the original person is using the Programming 1 class (on our e-learning platform or on the Coursera platform, there ARE different instructions floating out there. Somehow, from the snippet of instructions, I wonder whether the original person is using an instructor's copy of our instructions or possibly following the classroom instructions. The best thing for the original poster to do is to send mail to elearn@sas.com and the instructors on duty can check the elearning roster to see exactly which instructions the person should be following.
Usually, for SAS OnDemand for Academics, when the person is working on our elearning server instructions, the setup goes like this: https://youtu.be/piTtnbzODPs -- also our version of the e-learning class has a Virtual Lab with the data already set up, so there is nothing for the student to do, that video is here: https://youtu.be/fs0WpVZnVLM (but this option would not be available to Coursera students). And if the student is using a University-licensed version of SAS to do the work, then there are separate instructions for that data creation. So it is really going to make a difference how this person is taking Programming 1 and which interface they are using.
Cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation