BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Season
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have found in SAS Help that many statistical procedures are only available in SAS Cloud Analytic Service (CAS), but I searched on Amazon and found no book introducing this. Can anyone suggest any learning material (books preferred) for such an outsider of CAS as I?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

The native language of CAS is CASL, and the unit of work is the CAS action. This blog series by  Panagiotis is a great place to start:

CAS Action! - a series on fundamentals - SAS Viya Programming

Other resources:

I hope this helps to get you started. May the SAS be with you on your quest for knowledge!

Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

The native language of CAS is CASL, and the unit of work is the CAS action. This blog series by  Panagiotis is a great place to start:

CAS Action! - a series on fundamentals - SAS Viya Programming

Other resources:

I hope this helps to get you started. May the SAS be with you on your quest for knowledge!

Season
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you for your reply! I saw that the materials you provided are generally oriented to SAS Viya users. I am not working with SAS Viya, as my institution does not have a license for it. I am currently using SAS 9.4, with multiple procedures (e.g., the GAMMOD procedure) only available in CAS. I am hoping to learn issues pertaining to that.

SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

Cloud Analytic Services (CAS) is only available in SAS Viya. The overview for the GAMMOD Procedure states: The GAMMOD procedure fits generalized additive models that are based on low-rank regression splines (Wood 2006) in SAS Viya. (emphasis mine). If you are using CAS, you are using SAS Viya. You can log into the SAS Viya Compute Server using Enterprise Guide or SAS Studio and run traditional SAS code - the look and feel is just like SAS 9. Is it possible that's your configuration? 

Season
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes, the foundation of operation is the key issue I wish to know about CAS. Thank you for informing me that it is solely based on SAS Viya. But unfortunately, that virtually obliterates my need for learning it right now for, as I had stated, my institution has not purchased its license.

Anyway, thank you for your kind help! I hope our discussion, especially the links you summarized could benefit other SAS users who may have the need and passion to learn CAS like I did. If that is the case, then my time spent on this discussion worths it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation