BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pierrecarlos
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all, I'm still learning SAS Studio 3.8 (Enterprise Edition) and I'm humbly requesting for help on a particular dataset which I'm currently working on.

The dataset is about movies. It was obtained from one of the open source channel. I've uploaded my DS and the PROC CONTENT indicates that there are 7700+ observations. PROC FREQ reveals the max freq to be at around 300+ (appearing thrice). The rest are well within the region of 1 to 60.

I'm trying to produce a simple bar plot for the variable but I'm getting a cluttered output. Company variable (CHAR) refers to the various film production companies such as Werner Bros etcetera.

PROC SGPLOT DATA = MOVIES_DS;
VBAR company;
TITLE 'Movie Production Companies';
RUN;

The outputThe output

Can anyone please help on how to produce a much better bar plot visualisation. Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You haven't told me how many companies there are, but I think that a printed list would be the best way. Or an Excel file with the list.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You don't say how many distinct values of COMPANY exist, but there are way too many. So bar chart not a good idea here.

What information do you want the viewer of such a chart to come away with?

--
Paige Miller
pierrecarlos
Calcite | Level 5
Hi @PaigeMiller, I hope to provide any appropriate visualization which will provide the viewer on all the distinct movie production company which were involved in movie production, say for a specific decade in the movie industry (eg from year 2000 to year 2009 as my entire DS pertains information from this decade).
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You answered a different question ... what you hope to provide. What do you want the viewer of the plot to learn from the plot?

--
Paige Miller
pierrecarlos
Calcite | Level 5
Hi @PaigeMiller. I want the viewer to learn / recognize the most prolific / most active production company in terms of producing movies. My apologies if my sentence is not correct.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

So modify your data set so that it has only "the most prolific / most active production company" and plot the modified data set.

--
Paige Miller
pierrecarlos
Calcite | Level 5
Hi @PaigeMiller. Thank you for the advice! Suppose if I want to display all the distinct companies in the first place, what will be the best SAS visualization technique?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You haven't told me how many companies there are, but I think that a printed list would be the best way. Or an Excel file with the list.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation