BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
p_homann
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi! I have two computers running Windows 10 that have identical SAS installations, and (theoretically) everything else is the same as well. I am running some code that works fine on one computer, but results in the following errors on the other when trying to connect to MS Excel/Access:

ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: [Microsoft][ODBC Excel Driver] Too many client tasks.

ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Too many client tasks.

Any suggestions on what I can compare on the two computers to figure out why one is having this issue?

Thanks in advance!

12 REPLIES 12
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you reboot your problematic computer, start SAS only (no other apps open) and run your code again. Do you still get the errors?

Also is the MS Office version the same on both computers?

p_homann
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for the quick response. I rebooted the computer and tried again with no other apps open . . . unfortunately the same thing. I failed to notice yesterday, that when running the code on the problematic PC, some successful Excel connections are made earlier in the program, but once the first error is encountered, the remaining attempts all result in the error. Can you think of anything else to check, or is there a way to "monitor" client tasks?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Are you using LIBNAMEs by any chance to connect? If so add this after each finished connection:

LIBNAME <MyLibref> clear;

Can you also post an example of your LIBNAMEs.

p_homann
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks again for your input, however I am already doing this.

Reeza
Super User
Are multiple computers/people
accessing this file at the same time?
p_homann
Fluorite | Level 6

No, this is a stand-alone PC accessing files that are stored locally.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'd like to see your LIBNAME statement though. Looks like you are using the ODBC engine - have you compared the ODBC source definitions between the PCs?

p_homann
Fluorite | Level 6

Here is an example of the LIBNAME statement:

libname check2 clear;
libname check2 odbc complete="dsn=Excel Files; dbq=%trim(&workLoc)\MyFileName.xlsb; readOnly=false";

This is used multiple times throughout the process and only fails on this one PC (but works 8-10 times prior to failing). This code is inherited and has been used for many years and ported to several different PCs throughout its lifespan . . . this is the only PC where we have run into issues.

Thanks again for your time!

terryeastman
Calcite | Level 5

Same issue just starting to appear consistently in all our processes.  I wonder if there was an update to SAS and / or Microsoft excel that creates the issue in the background.  Our processes have been running w/o issue since extensions were XLS.  XLSX worked too up until very recently

ballardw
Super User

@terryeastman wrote:

Same issue just starting to appear consistently in all our processes.  I wonder if there was an update to SAS and / or Microsoft excel that creates the issue in the background.  Our processes have been running w/o issue since extensions were XLS.  XLSX worked too up until very recently

Recent switch in Office install??

I have a suspicion that Office 365 may change features in the background that break existing code, especially from non-Microsoft products. Or I may be paranoid after One Drive decided to remove several hundred of my SAS program examples.

p_homann
Fluorite | Level 6

(reposting the same message . . . I had responded to the wrong post)

Hi! Thank you for your response (I was afraid this post had died).

The only difference we have been able to track down between the two computers is the Access and Excel ODBC drivers.

Would you be able to check your driver version for:

• Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx, *xlsm, *xlsb)
  • Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)

(just in case you don't know where to this info: ODBC Data Source app --> Drivers tab)

Thanks!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you open a Tech Support track. They are in the best position to help you identify the problem.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation