BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kimmygzc
Obsidian | Level 7

what R stands for in SAS(R) 9.3 ?

and is there a integrated documents like 9.4 SAS Help Center 

It's just unfair for 9.3 and earlier users, tons of docs distributed all over... 

5 REPLIES 5
mkeintz
PROC Star

I believe (R) means "registered trademark".

According to the wikipedia entry for SAS (software) Release Dates, version 9.4 was first released in July 2013 - which will soon be 9 years ago.   I think at some point, it won't be reasonable to expect the same comprehensive organization of 9.3 documentation as you see with the current SAS version.  It may be there somewhere, but it's likely to be pretty obscure by now.

And even if you think nine years is not that long, in the world of software development and revision, it's big.  This is especially true since 9.3 was released in July 2011, meaning it only had a two-year lifespan.

This is an unsatisfying response I imagine, but I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if you find what you described.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
kimmygzc
Obsidian | Level 7
Yeah, kind of frustrating, since it's not easy for me to persuade the C-suites to update. Anyway, I admire how SAS crew manage to refresh this massive powerful and aged set of software. Thanks for the information, Sir.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You can tell them that there are a massive number of improvements in the latest version of the software and that they are going to lose full support in a year or so. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

AFAIK, the "R" is short for Registered Trademark. You are right that SAS 9.3 and earlier documentation is less organised than later versions. However you are talking about versions that is at least 10 years old and due to go into limited support by the end of 2023.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation