BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pau13rown
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I could not find a relevant board to post this, but any sas windows user might know how to fix the problem I'm experiencing.

when using the Window Bar (described here: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostwin/63285/HTML/default/viewer.htm#sassession.htm#doc...]) the tabs at the bottom of the screen move around eg Explorer, and the output and log windows. They don't move immediately, but after a long session they start shifting to the right and my programs shift to the left. It's quite irritating because i expect the log to always be on the left. I've tried turning off various options in the hope the tabs may start behaving, but nothing works.Anyone else experiencing this and frustrated by it? cheers

6 REPLIES 6
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It is not clear what you are talking about? Can you post screenshots?  Use the Insert Photos menu bar item (the icon is supposed to looks like a camera, if anyone remembers what cameras are anymore).

Also you linked to documentation from SAS version 9.2, which was released over 10 years ago. Although I suspect the functionality you are talking about hasn't changed much if any since then.

pau13rown
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

cheers for the reply. I attach a photo: sas tabs2.png

explorer, output, log and results tabs started on the left. But after running some programs etc, the programs move to the left and output and log tabs have started to wander to the right. When i go to check the log window I look to the left (i habit developed over 20 years) and it's not there. The tabs should be fixed in place and not move at all, for any reason at all

the help documentation i linked to should still be sound. This problem started mayb 5 years ago(??) and i have just tolerated it, i assumed sas was moving things around according to how much they were used

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The only way I can get the order of the windows to change it to manually close the log or output window and then open them again.

Have you been clicking on the X to close the LOG window? Or perhaps using DM commands to do?

image.png

pau13rown
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

no, i don't close them. They normally don't move around until i've had the session open >6 hrs, or overnight, and when I have been working with multiple programs. The first hours after opening sas the tabs are well-behaved, so it will be hard for you to replicate. The only solution i see is to close the session and start it again, maybe that's what i'll have to do

ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I don't have DMS anymore, so these are only guesses...

1) I distinctly remember the WSAVE command to save DMS window position (and other attributes) *within* SAS.  It saves the settings to a catalog in your SASUSER library.  But I don't see WSAVE listed in the SAS 9.4 Companion for Windows?  Horrors upon horrors if SAS should actually *remove* functionality ;-).  So, see if WSAVE helps, if you haven't already executed that command.

2) Does Windows allow you to RMB the SAS log and choose "Pin to Taskbar"?

Like I said, just guesses, I can't test any of this...

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
pau13rown
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

thanks for replying to my query. I have the 'save settings on exit' option selected. Unfortunately the right mouse button (RMB) doesn't allow me to 'pin to taskbar'. That would be great. Maybe in the future it will allow it...

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation