BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I'm estimating the health indicators among provincial populations, and would like to compare them with the estimations from total population in Canada. So, the populations samples would be dependent, since the provincial populations are included in the total sample size. Is there any t-test I can do in SAS? Or in SUDAAN?

Thank you,

Mandana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, SURVEYREG should be able to do the statistical test you have asked for.

If you add the SOLUTION option to the MODEL statement, it will compare the regression coefficient to zero ... which in this case, is statistically the same as comparing the mean of a group (province mean) to the overall mean (national mean). Here is an example (but you have to add in the SOLUTION option): 

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.4/statug/statug_surveyreg_examples08.htm

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Are you assuming that the national numbers are known, and you are estimating the provincial numbers from your sample of the population? 

Or are you estimating both national and provincial numbers from a sample?

--
Paige Miller
mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

I have the national numbers and then categorize it to the provincial samples by an index.  

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, but are the national numbers from the same study as the provincial numbers? Or can you assume that wherever these national numbers come from, they are "fixed" or "known"?

--
Paige Miller
mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

We have a sample represents national number and we disaggregate it using an index. In this way, we are comparing sub sample vs sample or doing overlapping comparison. Thanks. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I don't know what this means:

We have a sample represents national number and we disaggregate it using an index.

Can you explain how the study was conducted and how the statistics are arrived at?

--
Paige Miller
mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

Let's say it in this way:

we have a sample of a population and then disaggregate it to sub samples.  How to do the test of significant between the estimations for sample vs subsample? For example, we have a sample of population and calculate the average blood pressure for the population. Then, we disaggregate the population by age and estimate the average blood pressure for each age group. Finally, we would like to test whether the difference in average blood pressure between each age group vs the total population is significant.  Thank you.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

A common test is the One-way Analysis of Variance test, where you compare each group's mean to the overall mean. However, since you are working with survey data, I think PROC SURVEYMEANS would work. Here is an example that is similar to yours: https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.4/statug/statug_surveymeans_examples06.htm

I believe you can also get the exact statistical tests you want from PROC SURVEYREG with a CLASS statement and the SOLUTION option in the MODEL statement.

--
Paige Miller
mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for the response.

The example you sent is the test between the subgroups. I need to test the total group vs the subgroups.

I found this one but not quite sure whether ANOM is for survey data or not.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Statistical-Procedures/Statistics-for-comparing-a-population-with-a-s...

Thanks again.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@mandan414 wrote:

The example you sent is the test between the subgroups. I need to test the total group vs the subgroups.

I disagree. If you scroll down, you will see plots where clearly each group are compared to the full sample.

I found this one but not quite sure whether ANOM is for survey data or not.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Statistical-Procedures/Statistics-for-comparing-a-population-with-a-s...

I don't think ANOM exists in the survey case. But  PROC SURVEYREG will produce statistical tests of the group means to the overall mean.

--
Paige Miller
mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

You mean we can use PROC SURVEYREG for the test of significant for the proportion estimations of total sample vs subsample?

I used PROC SURVEYREG for the test of association before but not for the cases like this. Sorry, I'm not an statistician and my questions may seem basic. 

Thank you.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, SURVEYREG should be able to do the statistical test you have asked for.

If you add the SOLUTION option to the MODEL statement, it will compare the regression coefficient to zero ... which in this case, is statistically the same as comparing the mean of a group (province mean) to the overall mean (national mean). Here is an example (but you have to add in the SOLUTION option): 

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.4/statug/statug_surveyreg_examples08.htm

--
Paige Miller
mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

How about I want to do the comparison of proportions as well. For example the proportions of sub populations with university education vs the proportions of total population with university education. Thank you. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

PROC SURVEYLOGISTIC

--
Paige Miller
mandan414
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation