BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dmosack
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a dataset being written into many separate files in VIYA. For policy reasons I need the log, but unfortunately I get so many (effectively identical) notes for every written file that the log is terminated with a warning. In base SAS this is not an issue but we are required to use VIYA to meet federal regulations. If I use background submission, which is actually ideal because I need a log and html file associated with the run, attempting to open the log file seems to crash viya. So, I am wondering if it possible to suppress a specific note in the log. I know of the nonotes option and can't go this route. I am also aware of similar question to this on these forums, but the original question was not answered since it seemed that poster was interested in suppressing warnings, which was simply (and understandably) advised against. 

Code and the repeated note are included below with some redactions, although I'm not sure whether they will be helpful. 

Thanks!

dmosack_1-1709151252220.png

dmosack_0-1709151078092.png

10 REPLIES 10
ballardw
Super User

Best would be to include some log with the specific note and the code that causes it.

There are a large number of notes that appear due to incomplete programming such as automatic conversions of numeric to character or character to numeric that are simply addressed by properly coding the conversions. But guessing which specific note you may need addressed is not going to solve this quickly, if at all.

dmosack
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks. I don't think incomplete or improper programming is the problem but I've added excerpts of the log and code to my original post. 

ballardw
Super User

Since apparently, not actually stated, your undesired note is related to the file have you tried setting the option nonotes before the data step that uses the File statement and then turning the notes back on immediately afterward?

Or are there other notes from the data step that you need?

options nonotes;

data _null_;

set whatever;

file yourfile stuff;

run;

options notes;

dmosack
Fluorite | Level 6

As I did actually state, I am aware of the nonotes option and can't go this route.

ballardw
Super User

@dmosack wrote:

As I did actually state, I am aware of the nonotes option and can't go this route.

Which does not address if the approach I suggest with TWO options statements around the offending data step will accomplish what you need or what the actual objection to that approach would be, or even indicate if you ever tried it.

Not very helpful as to what you actually need in your log. Not a single description of what is needed and not a very clear statement of what is not wanted, just a poor picture.

If the ONLY thing you don't want is the FILE output note then I suggest 1) state so. Then we at least know which specific note you don't want. 2) If that data step using the File statement does anything other than write to that external file then you can perhaps accomplish the same thing with two steps, 1 that does the data manipulation needed and a separate data _NULL_ step to write to the output file and use the nonotes/notes around that data _null_.

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Notes in the log can be suppressed by using the following option. This will suppress all notes subsequent from the point where it is used in the code.

option nonotes;

To re enable the notes you can use the following.

option notes;

Quentin
Super User

I don't know how to suppress that note, and I don't use Viya, but I'm curious.

If you run the job in the background, the job runs fine, and the log file is written, correct? 

But the problem is that when you try to view the log file, after the job has completed, something crashes?  I assume you're using SAS Studio to open the log file, and Studio crashes?  Since studio runs in browser, I guess it's believable it could have a hard time opening a huge log file.

Have you tried opening the log file with some other application?  I know viya can store files in different places (i.e. the log file is not necessarily just sitting on a server, it could be in some sort of viya file storage service), but I think (hope) it's still just a big text file, so if you can get to it, you should be able to download it and open it in whatever text editor.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Raithel presenting on validating data files on Wednesday July 17. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
dmosack
Fluorite | Level 6

Yeah, I like where your head is at. I'm new to Viya myself so I'm not sure about the terminology. I believe you are correct that we are basically using SAS Studio to open the file because, as you say, it is in browser. Unfortunately, (for regulatory purposes) we are forbidden from removing/downloading things from that environment. So if I want to view the log it has to be done in Studio. I agree with your supposition that it is crashing because this is basically a huge text file, and I believe it is only so large because of this one repeated note. 

Also, maybe my terminology is unclear. Apologies for my ignorance, I am accustomed to Base SAS and only started using Viya/studio earlier this month. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@dmosack - SAS Studio shouldn't just crash while trying to open a very large log files. I suggest you open a Tech Support track for the issue. Using Enterprise Guide with Viya 4 will shortly be possible and I know that can handle some pretty large logs. 

dmosack
Fluorite | Level 6

Ah, that is surprising, thanks. We have had an extremely buggy transition to Viya so I'll suggest adding this to the list of issues. 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation