BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rohitkrishna
Calcite | Level 5

hi all,

I got stuck at one point of my sas code it all about  to retrieve only first and last record of my dataset 

I tried in multiple ways in sas and SQL I succeed in SQL by using max and min statements in the code but till  now I didn't get in sas

so kindly guide the current code for fetch only 2 records that are first and last record 

in sas i tried if _n_ = 1;

but i got only first rec i want the last one too

Thnaks & regards 

rohitkrishna

6 REPLIES 6
rohitkrishna
Calcite | Level 5
Hi KurtBremser,
thanks for the quick replay and the code works successfully and I have a query on code
could you plz explain the statement has below mention
{set have point=nobs nobs=nobs;}
Thanks & regards
rohitkrishna
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

nobs=nobs creates a variable (which will not be included in the output) that holds the total number of observations in the dataset. point=nobs uses this variable to retrieve only this last observation.

Since the first statement creates the necessary end-of-file condition to end the data step, no explicit stop statement is needed.

rohitkrishna
Calcite | Level 5
Hi KurtBremser,
thanks for the explanation it's to valuable information

Thanks & regards
rohitkrishna
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Just to cover the boundary condition that there is one and only one observation in the source dataset add and IF .

Otherwise the result will have the same observation twice.

data want;
  set have (obs=1);
  output;
  if nobs>1;
  set have point=nobs nobs=nobs;
  output;
run;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Also if you cannot use the NOBS= and/or the POINT= option (perhaps your input is a VIEW instead of dataset) then here is method that will read the whole file and just keep the first and last observation.

data test;
 set sashelp.class end=eof;
 if _n_=1 or eof;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation