BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tomas-andriotti
Calcite | Level 5

Hi!

I am trying to recode a variable defined as freq_user in a long data set (longitudinal form). Frequent users (freq_users) were identified as those who went to the emergent department (ED) more often than 4 times a year. It turns out that all observations in a year (visits to ED) were identified as freq_users if the individual has gone more than 4 times to ED - the 1st, 2nd and 3rd as well as the 4th visit. However, I just need to identify as freq_users those observations at the 4th visit or its multiples (8th, 12th and so on) if they were considered so.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Yes, given that you first create YEAR holding the calendar year, that's exactly the right follow-up step.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Astounding
PROC Star

Some key questions:

What are the names of your variables?

Does your data set contain a variable holding the YEAR?

Do you trust the flags that were already set up?  For example, if a person has 5 ER visits one year, and 2 the next, are you certain that the 2 visits in the next year are not being flagged?

tomas-andriotti
Calcite | Level 5

Ansewers to your questions

1. the name of the variables are :

Id: individuals

k: observations or visits

begdate : date of the observations - visit to the ED

fy : fiscal year (sep year X - august year X+1)

freq_user_fy : 4 visits or more to the ED a year

2. yes, the dataset contains fy = fiscal year that was used to code freq users within a fiscal year.

3. I am certain that if the next 2 visits happen in another fiscal year that they were not flagged but if they happened within the fiscal year, all of them were flagged, which is the issue I am trying to solve because I need just the 4th visit to ED within the same fiscal year

thanks 

Astounding
PROC Star

OK, here's an approach you can use then:

proc sort data=have;
   by id fy begdate;
run;

data want;
   set have;
   by id fy;
   if first.fy then counter = 1;
   else counter + 1;
   drop counter;
   new_freq_user_fy = (mod(counter, 4) = 0);
run;

This actually counts within the fiscal year.  If you want to count within the calendar year, it's just mildly more complex.  It would require creating a YEAR variable based on the BEGDATE and using that YEAR variable instead of FY.

tomas-andriotti
Calcite | Level 5

thank you !this worked!
so if I want to count within a calendar year, does the code below just changing fy to year (after creating the calendar year ) suffice?  

proc sort data=have;
   by id year begdate;
run;

data want;
   set have;
   by id year;
   if first.year then counter = 1;
   else counter + 1;
   drop counter;
   new_freq_user_y = (mod(counter, 4) = 0);
run; 

Astounding
PROC Star

Yes, given that you first create YEAR holding the calendar year, that's exactly the right follow-up step.

tomas-andriotti
Calcite | Level 5

I have a follow-up question regarding this topic - if I want to find the frequent user counting those with 4 visits at the ED in 365 days after each visit instead of 4 visits in a calendar year only, how should I do code it?

Astounding
PROC Star

That would require a different approach.  PROC SQL would be a good tool for the job, but is a topic where my skills are just average.  If you really need that, I suggest you post it as a separate question.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation