BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
HappySASUE
Quartz | Level 8

Hi I need to create 1000 samples for simulation study. Does any one know how to create a random sample with seeds of time + minute + second ? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
6 REPLIES 6
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Can you explain further what you mean by "with seeds of time + minute + second"?

If you want the pseudo random number seed to be based on the computer clock you can 1) omit to set a seed or 2) set the seed to a negative number.

PG
HappySASUE
Quartz | Level 8

Sure. 

I need to run 1000 times, however with the current code, they all have the same seed = 12345.  I want to create a macro variable which change every time I pull the sample.  One idea is to set the seed macro variable as the time we create the samples. 

for example for the first iteration: if time is 10am 1 minute 1 second   then %let seed = 100101; second iteration seed become   100111 if each simulation takes 10 seconds.  I remember SAS has a function of current time...system....I forget. It create a macro variable of the current time. 

Thanks 

%macro uniform(datain =, dataout =, size = );
/*pulling a random sample from original data*/
data &dataout. (drop=obsleft sampsize);
sampsize= &size.;
obsleft=totobs;
do while(sampsize>0);
pickit+1;
if ranuni(12345)<sampsize/obsleft then do;
set &datain. point=pickit
nobs=totobs;
output;
sampsize=sampsize-1;
end;
obsleft=obsleft-1;
end;
stop;
run;

%mend uniform;

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

If datain is always the same, you should use proc surveyselect with option reps=1000.

To get a different seed on every iteration, just omit setting the seed yourself. SAS will use the system clock by default.

PG
HappySASUE
Quartz | Level 8

I see.. How about "call streaminit(321)"? Does it use seed 321 for 1000 iterations?   

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

That would reset the seed to 321 at every execution of the datastep.

PG

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation