BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dbcrow
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, SAS Users-

Me again. I'm trying to change a date (stored in two variables, one with a SAS date format and the other as numeric) to a string variable with a two-digit year and a three character month abbreviation--e.g., "16-Jan".  Ultimately, I want to join the data I'm prepping with another file, which has months in this format. But instead of getting "16-Jan", I get "65-Jan":  right month, but wrong year. 

Here's the code I'm using:  

data ucd5;
	set ucd4;

highmme_rate = highmme/pop*100000;
	month = put(date2, monname3.);
	monyear2 = cats(put(year(date2), year2.),"-", put(date2, monname3.));
	year2 = put(year(date2), year.);

*format date yymon.;
	drop monyear;
run;

Here's some sample rows from the input data ("ucd4"):  

dbcrow_0-1681421480373.png

As readily seen, the date variable ("date") maps correctly on to the number of days since Jan 1, 1960:  2016-01-01 is, in fact 20454 days from 1960-01-01.  The above code gets the month right, but outputs the year as 1965. Here are some sample rows from the created dataset ("ucd5"):  

dbcrow_1-1681421669440.png

Any ideas on what's going on? Since the code outputs 1965 as the year from both the "date" and the "date2" variables, I suspect that the origin date is something other than 1960-01-01. How can I check and, if appropriate, reset the origin date? Or is the problem something else?  

Many thanks,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
put(year(date2), year2.)

This is incorrect. You take the year (1965) then apply a year format to that date, which is why you're getting 1965

Instead try

put(date2, yymmdd2.) to get just the last two digits. 

The year format would be applied to a date variable, not to the year value. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User
put(year(date2), year2.)

This is incorrect. You take the year (1965) then apply a year format to that date, which is why you're getting 1965

Instead try

put(date2, yymmdd2.) to get just the last two digits. 

The year format would be applied to a date variable, not to the year value. 

dbcrow
Obsidian | Level 7

Many thanks, Reeza. Worked like a charm. 

But I'm not sure why: where is the 1965 coming from? It's nowhere in the original data I'm trying to manipulate. Why would year(date2) return 1965 instead of 2016? 

Best,

David

Update: for some reason, I reran my original code and it's now working fine. So, both the original code and your suggested replacement seem to work. Working with dates in SAS seems unnecessarily difficult! 🙂

Reeza
Super User
I wouldn't expect your original code to work at all.

So when you take the year of the date, it returns a numeric value 2016. SAS uses that to count the number of days from January 1, 1960. 2016 days from January 1, 1960 ends up somewhere in the year 1965 (2016/365.25 ~5.5).

The year format needs to be applied to a variable with a date format. It takes 1965 to be the date in 1965, not your original date.
Reeza
Super User
data want;
date2=20545;
Actual_SAS_Date = date2;

Year_formatted_as_date = year(date2);
year_formatted_as_num= year(date2);

format Actual_SAS_Date date9. Year_formatted_as_date year. year_formatted_as_num 8.;
run;

proc print data=want;
run;

Results:

Reeza_0-1681423367074.png

dbcrow
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for this explanation, Reeza. I reran the original code and you're right: it wasn't working. I don't know why I thought it was. 

Again, I tender my gratitude for your taking the time to respond. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation