BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
clarke
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, everyone

I am really struggling with importing a .csv file into SAS. The dataset has 3 variables, but when it imports, SAS says it has 1 variable. It puts 3 columns into 1. I tried putting in the data with a cards statement, but it gave me errors as there is had too many lines. I attached a picture of what the data looks like in Excel and what it looks like in SAS. The data originally had commas as decimals and I changed it to full stops but the problem still occurs. Please help me out. (I imported it by clicking "import data" in "file"). Thank you so muchexcel data.PNGsas data.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The picture on the left is NOT a CSV file. It appears to be some type of spreadsheet software. A CSV file is just a text file.

But looking at the values in the SAS dataset is really looks like you do not have a "real" CSV (comma separated values) but instead a delimited file where the delimiter is a semi-colon.

The easiest solution is to just tell SAS that your delimiter is a semi-colon instead of a comma.

But for three columns it is even easier (and you will have complete control) if you just write the data step your self.

data want ;
  infile 'myfile.txt' dsd dlm=';' firstobs=2 truncover ;
  input group x1 x2 ;
run;
Reeza
Super User

Try PROC IMPORT with GUESSINGROWS=MAX and set the delimiter to a semi colon. 

It sounds like you had a french source file which uses a ; instead of comma, and a comma where a decimal would be instead. 

As Tom mentioned to work with a CSV file you're best off opening it with a text editor, NOT Excel because Excel interprets the data to present it, not always correctly but it doesn't give you the correct information to import it. 

This will take a bit longer to run than Tom's solution but should work as well. 

proc import out=want datafile="path to csv" dbms=dlm replace;
delimiter=';'; guessingrows=max;
run;

@clarke wrote:

Hello, everyone

I am really struggling with importing a .csv file into SAS. The dataset has 3 variables, but when it imports, SAS says it has 1 variable. It puts 3 columns into 1. I tried putting in the data with a cards statement, but it gave me errors as there is had too many lines. I attached a picture of what the data looks like in Excel and what it looks like in SAS. The data originally had commas as decimals and I changed it to full stops but the problem still occurs. Please help me out. (I imported it by clicking "import data" in "file"). Thank you so muchexcel data.PNGsas data.PNG

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation