BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ramiro_iese
Calcite | Level 5

Is it possible to run a %do loop (in a macro) ussing parallel processing? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Parallel processing in SAS usually means you run multiple SAS jobs at the same time, each in a separate SAS session. If you are running the same logic in each job, you need to split your input data so each SAS job does a different slice of data.

Typically you only parallel process to speed up slow run times. There is no point in doing it if your run times are acceptable. For example, I have a parallelised job that took around 14 hours to run sequentially, but now takes less than 4 hours, split into 4 parallel jobs all running at the same time.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

This could well depend on what you mean by parallel processing.

Can you provide a description or details of what you are wanting to do.

Ramiro_iese
Calcite | Level 5

I am new in SAS, but I am used to code in Julia. 

There exist a library called "Threads". Then, for example, if you have a for loop from 1 to 12 and your computer has 4 cores, these process divides the computation between them and then it merges the results and shows it as it were calculated one by one

yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

BASE SAS is single threaded (in general) with some exceptions (like sorting with Proc Sort or Proc DS2's threads). There is no dedicated library/package for parallel processing.

If you have SAS Viya (with CAS engine) you can have "parallel" data step processing.

Bart

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.
Hands-on-Workshop: "Share your code with SAS Packages"
"My First SAS Package: A How-To" at SGF2021 Proceedings

SAS Ballot Ideas: one: SPF in SAS, two, and three
SAS Documentation

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Parallel processing in SAS usually means you run multiple SAS jobs at the same time, each in a separate SAS session. If you are running the same logic in each job, you need to split your input data so each SAS job does a different slice of data.

Typically you only parallel process to speed up slow run times. There is no point in doing it if your run times are acceptable. For example, I have a parallelised job that took around 14 hours to run sequentially, but now takes less than 4 hours, split into 4 parallel jobs all running at the same time.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

There's a concept called MP Connect (requires a SAS/CONNECT license).

In short you can spawn several child SAS sessions from a master SAS session. 

One benefit is you can relatively easily orchestrate this using SAS code (e.g. do%), so you don't have to rely on OS functionality.

https://support.sas.com/rnd/scalability/connect/mp.html

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/connref/p1sszj6a6otsy2n1pnseg8vh98l8.htm

Data never sleeps
yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

If you want to do a "parallel macro execution" in BASE SAS look up this tutorial:

https://pages.mini.pw.edu.pl/~jablonskib/SASpublic/Parallel-processing-in-BASE-SAS.sas

Bart

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.
Hands-on-Workshop: "Share your code with SAS Packages"
"My First SAS Package: A How-To" at SGF2021 Proceedings

SAS Ballot Ideas: one: SPF in SAS, two, and three
SAS Documentation

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation