BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
beckwaller
Fluorite | Level 6

Have a project for school and we are beginners in SAS programming.  We are having a bit of trouble merging an environmental dataset (daily data for 10 years) with a birth cohort dataset (n = ~350,000). Essentially, we want to tell SAS to start in the birth dataset (in which we have a subject ID, county of residence and  pregnancy date range for each individual subject (FirstDayPreg LastDayPreg), then go to the air quality data set and count the number of exceedances (ExpLevel coded as 0 or 1.  1 if exceeds daily threshold for various air quality metrics) within that pregnancy date range, and then output the number of exceedances by subject ID. We have tried to accomplish this with PROC SQL and nested DO loops, but can't quite seem to figure it out. An image of environmental data set and birth cohort data are attached.  We would really appreciate any assistance you can provide us.

Birth cohort dataBirth cohort dataEnvironmental dataEnvironmental data

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
beckwaller
Fluorite | Level 6

That worked! Thank you.  We haven't made it to Proc sql yet in class.  I really appreciate your help.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Assuming that Date, firstPregDay and lastPregDay are SAS dates and that the air quality dataset is complete for the pregnancy periods, the following will do the counts:

proc sql;
create table expCounts as
select
    a.id,
    a.county,
    sum(b.ExpLevel) as expCount
from 
    birth as a inner join
    air as b on 
        a.county=b.county and 
        b.date between a.firstPregDay and a.lastPregDay
group by a.id, a.county;
quit;

(untested)

EDIT Added county to group by clause.

PG
beckwaller
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks!  I gave the code a shot, but I just get the following.  This was part of our issue.  We just want one value for each subject ID.trial1JPG.JPG

beckwaller
Fluorite | Level 6

I think it was because we had to create firstpregday and lastpregday from existing variables and they are not SAS dates

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Please try the new version above.

PG
beckwaller
Fluorite | Level 6

That worked! Thank you.  We haven't made it to Proc sql yet in class.  I really appreciate your help.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @beckwaller,

Glad to see that PGStats's solution worked for you. Then it would help later readers if you marked his helpful reply as the accepted solution, not your own "thank you" post. Could you please change that? It's very easy: see instructions here.

SAS Innovate 2025: Save the Date

SAS Innovate 2025 is scheduled for May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. Sign up to be first to learn about the agenda and registration!

Save the date!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

SAS Training: Just a Click Away

Ready to level-up your skills? Choose your own adventure.

Browse our catalog!

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation