BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mmehrd
Calcite | Level 5

I have a dataset with a 1000 variables that are in character format. The values could be numbers or text. Does anyone know a macro that detect each field one by one and see if it’s a number converts it to numeric, if not leave it as character?

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

If possible, you need to examine the process that creates this data set and fix the problem there. If this is a conversion of an Excel file to a SAS data set, you probably can fix the problem by converting the Excel file again with the proper options, or by converting Excel to CSV, in which case then you can force certain columns to be numeric.

--
Paige Miller
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS has a tool for guessing what format text is using.  PROC IMPORT.

Convert your data to a CSV file and then use PROC IMPORT to read it.  Now compare the types between the two versions of the data and decide which one you want to use.

Just make sure not to use a tool for generating the CSV file that adds quotes around all character values (whether or not quotes are needed) as PROC IMPORT will assume that means the values should be read a character.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Below a way how you could implement what @Tom suggests.

data have(drop=_:);
  array var {10} $10;
  do _k=1 to 100;
    do _i=1 to dim(var);
      var[_i]=put(_n_,z9.);
      if ceil(ranuni(1)*1000)>990 then var[_i]=cats('A',var[_i]);
    end;
    output;
  end;
run;

filename extfile temp;
proc export 
  data=have
  file=extfile
  dbms=csv
  replace
  ;
run; 

proc import 
  out=want
  file=extfile
  dbms=csv
  replace
  ;
  guessingrows=max;
run;
filename extfile clear;

title 'Variable Types Before and After';
proc sql;
  select libname, memname, name, type
  from dictionary.columns
  where 
    libname='WORK' and
    memname in ('HAVE','WANT')
  order by memname, varnum
  ;
quit;
title;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation