BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I want to check the goodness of fit for a PROC SURVEYREG regression model. I checked R-square for my model which is a small number but I do not know how valid that is to be reported. I appreciate your help. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

How small is "small"? Subject? Social science type data (most surveys) often reports R-square values much smaller than physical science.

Did you check for anything besides linear fit? Sometimes a "poor" R-square for linear models comes from data that fits some sort of curve.

More information that a simple R-square is likely needed to make a good suggestion.

Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you @ballardw for your help.

My R-square values are below 0.35 and my survey is in public health. Good point about checking a curve. I will try it. Thanks

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello @Emma_at_SAS ,

R-squared is definitely a popular and good measure, but it also has disadvantages.

R-Square is the proportion of variance in the dependent variable which can be predicted | explained from the independent variables. 
The main disadvantage of R-Squared is that it will always increase if you add an additional input to your model (even if that input is not significantly contributing to the power of the model, but is only explaining a bit of noise).
See here :
What does R square mean in variable selection?
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Data-Mining-and-Machine/What-does-R-square-mean-in-variable-selec...

I also like to look at the RMSE (which is an absolute measure) when predicting | explaining interval targets.

Root Mean Square Error (RMSE) :
Root MSE is the standard deviation of the error term, and is the square root of the Mean Square Residual (or Error).
RMSE can be interpreted as the standard deviation of the unexplained variance, and has the useful property of being in the same units as the response variable.
Lower values of RMSE indicate better fit.

By the way, you can often make better models with PROC REG and PROC SURVEYREG if you use the EFFECT statement  (to make spline effects for example).

Good luck,

Koen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation