BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
fre
Quartz | Level 8 fre
Quartz | Level 8

Dear community,

I'm using this code to import a specific textfile - which worked very well for years: (it's part of a macro)

data WORK.ONE_FILE ;

%let _EFIERR_ = 0; /* set the ERROR detection macro variable */
		infile "&path_in.&&bestand&ii."
		delimiter='09'x MISSOVER DSD lrecl=32767 firstobs=2 ;

informat var1 best12. ;
		informat var2 best12.;

/* informat var3, var4, etc... */

format var1 best12.;
		format var2 best12. ;

/* format var3, var4, etc... */

input
		var1
		var2

/* input var3, var4, etc... */
		;

if _ERROR_ then call symputx('_EFIERR_',1);  /* set ERROR detection macro variable */

run;

With my last textfile, there was a problem:  SAS stopped importing after 3.000 lines, while there are 20.000 lines in the textfile, and SAS did not generate an error in the log.

After looking into the textfile, I saw the problem.  There was a weird character in the textfile.  I've made two screenshots (attached to this post).  One taken from notepad and one taken from notepad++.

The weird character is visualized different in those 2 screenshots.

(i've saved the screenshot in a worddoc because this forum doesn't allow jpg-files)

My question is:  is there a way that I can adapt my code so that SAS will import the whole textfile (and not stopping after 3000 lines), so basically that SAS ignores that weird character?

Or at least that it generates an error when it encounters such weird characters (and not stopping without warning)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4
DavePrinsloo
Pyrite | Level 9
What character set is SAS running? (You can see this from the SAS encoding option).
Is the file in the same character set? (Notepad ++ can help you to determine that)

I have an idea for a fix, but would like to test it before posting. What is the hex value of the offending character? (Notepad ++ can show that).
fre
Quartz | Level 8 fre
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Dave, thank you for your reply.

In the SAS log, I can see ENCODING = UTF8

In Notepad++, I can see this matches (also UTF-8).

I didn't find the option to view the hex value, I've attached the piece of text that contains this weird character, hopefully you can see the hex value this way.   It has to be an accent or something like that, I guess.

fre
Quartz | Level 8 fre
Quartz | Level 8

Indeed, the option IGNOREDOSEOF did the trick.

Thank you very much.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation