BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
GN0001
Barite | Level 11

Hello team,

I have a variable called key and this variable is mapped to many subkeys. Both variables are present in the table.

1-key variable has many values

2- Each key maps to a couple of subkeys.

3-How can I write the program in a data step that I only capture a couple of subkeys for each key, I don't need all of them.

4-Do I need to put it in if else statement? If yes, how can I reach there?

Thanks,

blue

Blue Blue
5 REPLIES 5
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Examples of your data would go a long way towards clarifying what you actually want to do.

If the dataset has variables named KEY and SUBKEY with multiple values of SUBKEY per value of KEY and is already sorted by KEY SUBKEY you can make a subset pretty easily using a simple data step.

Just count how many subkeys you have seen and delete the extra observations.

data want;
  set have;
  by key subkey;
  if first.key then subkey_number = 0;
  if first.subkey;
  subkey_num + 1;
  if subkey_num > 2 then delete;
  keep key subkey subkey_num;
run;
A_Kh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

One example; 

data have;
infile cards dlm=',' truncover;
length key $100;
input key $;
cards;
subkey1 subkey0 subkey2 subkey4 subkey5,
subkey2 subkey subkey subkey2 subkey3,
subkey1 subkey5 subkey subkey4 subkey3
;
proc print;run;

data want;
	set have; 
	if find(key, 'subkey1', 'i') gt 0 then var1='subkey1';
	if find(key, 'subkey4', 'i') gt 0 then var2= 'subkey4';
	key_of_interest= catx(' ', of var:);
proc print; run; 

Capture.PNG

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Why is subkey1 and subkey4 chosen here? Is that something that can be hard-coded, or is the problem much more general than that? If so, explain in detail.

--
Paige Miller
A_Kh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

As per description by the owner (@GN0001) :

3-How can I write the program in a data step that I only capture a couple of subkeys for each key, I don't need all of them.

Assuming the user interested in mapping only 'subkey1' and 'subkey4' among all 'subkey' s, those values were mapped to a new Key variables. But it could be any 'subkey', not only those 2. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@A_Kh wrote:

As per description by the owner (@GN0001) :

Assuming the user interested in mapping only 'subkey1' and 'subkey4' among all 'subkey' s, those values were mapped to a new Key variables. But it could be any 'subkey', not only those 2. 

Thanks @A_Kh there's a good chance you are right, but we need to hear that from @GN0001 along with a lot more detail.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation