BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
abhinayingole
Obsidian | Level 7

below is the simple dataset.

I wanted to create macro variable, containing values of 'test' variable separated by space. 

I don't want to use proc sql.

please suggest.

Expected output as ...

B A

data test;
  test = "B"; output;
  test = "A"; output;
run;

abhinayingole_0-1640974371689.png

12 REPLIES 12
abhinayingole
Obsidian | Level 7
i believe sql will take it as alphabetically
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@abhinayingole wrote:

You can modify SQL so the values are in some non-alphabetic order.

data seq;
    set test;
    n=_n_;
run;

proc sql noprint;
	select distinct test into :macrovar separated by ' ' from seq order by n;
quit;
%put &=macrovar;
--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

@abhinayingole wrote:

Test your assumptions. 

Reeza
Super User
data test;
  test = "B"; output;
  test = "A"; output;
run;

data _null_;

set test end=eof;
length str $100.;

retain str;

str = catx(" ", str, test);

if eof then call symputx('no_sql_list', str);

run;

%put &no_sql_list;

proc sql noprint;
select test into :sql_list separated by " " from test;
quit;

%put &sql_list;

@abhinayingole wrote:

below is the simple dataset.

I wanted to create macro variable, containing values of 'test' variable separated by space. 

I don't want to use proc sql.

please suggest.

Expected output as ...

B A

data test;
  test = "B"; output;
  test = "A"; output;
run;

abhinayingole_0-1640974371689.png

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

For anyone else reading along who doesn't have the "No SQL" restriction (which seems rather pointless to me as PROC SQL is part of Base SAS, so everyone has it)

proc sql noprint;
     select distinct(varname) into :macrovariablename separated by ' ' from datasetname;
quit;

What could be simpler?

And don't forget Maxim 14, Use the Right Tool

--
Paige Miller
SASKiwi
PROC Star

There does seem to be a significant proportion of posters that demand a problem be done in a certain way regardless of whether it is the best approach or not.

All I can say to them is look at all of the options and choose the best. You won't improve your SAS skills if you keep insisting your problem has to be done a certain way.

Astounding
PROC Star
The DISTINCT option forces SQL to alphabetize the values. Just leave it out (assuming your data doesn't contain duplicated values).

Better yet: describe the next step(s) once you have your macro variable. There are enough clever posters here that you may not need this macro variable at all.
Quentin
Super User

Agree with others, the SQL solution seems natural here.

But just for fun,  I think the below DATA step will work too.  It will be slow, as it is over-writing the macro variable for every iteration of the step, vs @Reeza's DATA step which (sensibly) only writes the macro variable once.  But if you're learning the macro language, it's a helpful example of the sort of timing issues you can encounter.  In this case, using the DATA step RESOLVE function allows you to resolve a macro variable during DATA step execution time rather than during DATA step compile time.

data test;
  test = "B"; output;
  test = "A"; output;
run;

%let no_sql_list= ;

data _null_ ;
  set test ;
  call symputx('no_sql_list', catx(" ",resolve('&no_sql_list'),test)) ;
run ;

%put >>&no_sql_list<<;
The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.
ballardw
Super User

I might not be quite awake at the moment but macro variables do not per se create any output.

You have to use some statement or procedure to create "output". Where it appears could make a significant difference. What does your intended output go into? A data set(other questions to be answered)? A text file (no macro variables needed but likely other questions will need answers)? Word document? PDF document? External database ? Something else?

ghosh
Barite | Level 11
data test;
  test = "B"; output;
  test = "A"; output;
run;
proc transpose data=test out=have;
	var test;
run;
data _NULL_;
  set have;
    call symputx('macvar', catx(' ',of col:));
run;
%put &=macvar;

ghosh_1-1641160317707.png

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 9 in conversation