BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
FK21
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Everyone,

does anyone use the "git functions" integrated into SAS? I came across the following issue: the underlying OpenSSL version used for the functions to "work" is "OpenSSL 1.1.1".  However, this is an old version, which is not maintained anymore! (see: Wikipedia page to OpenSSL )

"Newer" Operating Systems, e.g. Red Hat 9.x by default make use of the 3.x.x. versions of OpenSSL,

The 3.x.x. versions, however, do not work with the SAS git functions.

Example:

Running this data setp:

git_data_step.PNG

I get the following error messages:

NOTE: libgit2.so not found in the system location, trying the extension path.
NOTE: libgit2.so not found in the system location, trying the install path.
ERROR: libgit2.so not found.
ERROR: Unable to load libgit2 module.
rc_git_version=-1
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
real time 0.00 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

When looking for a solution, the only "solution" that presented to me, was to install an "deterioreated" verison of OpenSSL:

https://support.sas.com/kb/69/920.html

Isn't there a more proper solution which makes git functions work under OpenSSL 3.x.x.?

Cheers,

FK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The available SAS hotfixes provide updated libgit* modules that work with OpenSSL 1.1.1. OpenSSL 1.1.1 is still supported and in service; it is maintained by Red Hat (with its most recent minor release in Sept 2023).

SAS is beginning some projects to provide versions of libgit* that work with OpenSSL 3. These are not available yet, but if it's something you need you can register a case with SAS Technical Support and maybe this can influence the priority.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

From the problem note: "SAS 9.4M7 or SAS9.4M8: Install the hot fix, install OpenSSL 1.0.x ..."

I would not even dare to suggest this to our it security. I thought that SAS learned something from the log4j fiasco. Having outdate libraries is an absolute no-go in any environment.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The available SAS hotfixes provide updated libgit* modules that work with OpenSSL 1.1.1. OpenSSL 1.1.1 is still supported and in service; it is maintained by Red Hat (with its most recent minor release in Sept 2023).

SAS is beginning some projects to provide versions of libgit* that work with OpenSSL 3. These are not available yet, but if it's something you need you can register a case with SAS Technical Support and maybe this can influence the priority.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
FK21
Fluorite | Level 6

@ChrisHemedinger : 

Thank you, Chris, for your reply. I already opened a Case with Tech Support. Basically, they told me the same thing as you did: it is work in progress.

Let's hope, they can come up with the new versions of libgit* as soon as possible.

I'll keep you posted!

Thank's,

FK21

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation