BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SAS_ASS
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Folks,

I have a problem with the output values of cluster procedure in SAS Enterprise Miner.

There are values like 26E4.

How can I format them into real values?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That is scientific, or exponential notation.  26E4 is 26 times 10 to the fourth power. So 260,000. 

Those are really large F statistics.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

What do you mean by real values?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That is a real value. 26 * 10**4 .

Perhaps you are just using too short a format or column width when trying to display the value?

SAS_ASS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your answer!

I mean something like an integer value.

This is part of my output.

Well I'm not sure about that 26E4 = 26*10*4??

This is actually what I'm trying to figure out...

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That is scientific, or exponential notation.  26E4 is 26 times 10 to the fourth power. So 260,000. 

Those are really large F statistics.

ballardw
Super User

@SAS_ASS wrote:

Dear Folks,

I have a problem with the output values of cluster procedure in SAS Enterprise Miner.

There are values like 26E4.

How can I format them into real values?

Thanks!

It would appear that for some reason you have a BEST4. format applied to the variable in question. You could change the format, either permanently in the data set or in any procedure that uses the data to something with more digits. I might suggest starting with BEST12. to get an idea whether you have decimal portions that you need to display while retaining some flexibility of not displaying many too many more characters than needed.

SAS_ASS
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for your answer! The problem is..the variable only exists in the output and the procedure runs in the Enterprise Miner, so I have no idea how to change that....

ballardw
Super User

The procedure output is likely controlled by a template. If you are pushing the limits of the procedure that designers expected to have fewer than 10000 as the maximum value they may have set such a format.

I don't have access to Enterprise Miner but I would suspect that tools in the general SAS environment should allow you to change the format in an output data set such as in Proc Print adding a FORMAT statement for that variable to use a wider format like BEST6. (or 8 or 12) or Proc Datasets to permanently change the format in the data set.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation