BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Amalik
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

When I import my data from  excel file to SAS , it shows me character data although the data is numeric.

After inspecting my file, I found out that the cells contain * in them (although I cannot see it as it displays as number)

The value is shown as a number say 1.12 but when I use ctrl+F and find *, it finds the numbered cell. When I replace * with a blank, it replaces the entire number say 1.12 will replace with a blank.

I am unsure on how to handle this weird issue. Any suggestions please?

2 REPLIES 2
Sathish_jammy
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Once you import the file, Find out the columns Which being char datatype but it contain numeric values.

col1 = input(compress(Column_name,'0123456789.','k')best12.);

Here the converted column contains only numeric and (.) float punctuation.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

How did you import the file?  Show your code or if you used some point-and-click method explain which one.

What type of Excel do you mean?  Are you reading from an XLSX file? An old style XLS file?  Or do you in fact have just simple text file with a .CSV extension and we being tricked into thinking it is an Excel file by your operating systems file associations?

If your Excel file has any character values in a column then SAS will assume the whole column is character.  Excel is not a database, so it can cause these types of problems.

Your description sounds like what might happen in SAS output if the values was too long to display in the specified space.  Excel can also have similar issues I believe.  But I would expect if you are using XLSX files then it should be less of a problem.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation