BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
emaguin
Quartz | Level 8

I need to compute a date-time variable given the number of seconds (dstarttim, below) from 01.01.1960 (I think, but let's say it's true) and then do a comparison of that date with another date. Fortunately Cody has a chapter on date arithmetic in his book but unfortunately it doesn't include time. But from it i got the intnx function.

I wrote

ivuedone=intx('second','01jan60:00:00:00'dt,dstarttim,'same');

put ivuedone datetime18;

I get errors: iwuedone in line 1 is marked as an error and line 2 likewise not liked. I'm doing something wrong; what is it?

That's part A, now part B. I want to say

if (iwuedone lt '15mar2020' d9) then precovid=1;

Will that work?

Alternatively, how would this be written:

If (dstarttime le 15mar2020 in seconds) then precovid=1;

Thanks,

Gene Maguin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

1. There is no need to use INTNX to create a datetime out of the dstarttim, it's already a DATETIME because that's how SAS stores datetimes. Read the reference from the prior link for more details. Apply a format to the variable to have it display correctly. 

format dstarttim datetime22.;

2. Specify a data constant in the format of "DDMONYYYY"d - no 9.  Since your variable is a datetime and you're comparing it to a date, you need to use DATEPART to get just the date portion as well. 

if (datepart(dtstarttim) lt '15mar2020'd) then precovid=1;

3. If you want a seconds comparison, both need to have a time component. 

if (dstarttim lt  dhms('15mar2020'd, 0, 0, 0) ) then precovid=1;

@emaguin wrote:

I need to compute a date-time variable given the number of seconds (dstarttim, below) from 01.01.1960 (I think, but let's say it's true) and then do a comparison of that date with another date. Fortunately Cody has a chapter on date arithmetic in his book but unfortunately it doesn't include time. But from it i got the intnx function.

I wrote

put ivuedone datetime18;

I get errors: iwuedone in line 1 is marked as an error and line 2 likewise not liked. I'm doing something wrong; what is it?

Will that work?

Thanks,

Gene Maguin

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

FYI - I've formatted your question to make it more legible. Please try and use the code blocks in future posts and space out your text.

Here's a great, but longer and in depth, reference for dates and times in SAS
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Working-with-Dates-and-Times-in-SAS-Tutorial/...

Reeza
Super User

1. There is no need to use INTNX to create a datetime out of the dstarttim, it's already a DATETIME because that's how SAS stores datetimes. Read the reference from the prior link for more details. Apply a format to the variable to have it display correctly. 

format dstarttim datetime22.;

2. Specify a data constant in the format of "DDMONYYYY"d - no 9.  Since your variable is a datetime and you're comparing it to a date, you need to use DATEPART to get just the date portion as well. 

if (datepart(dtstarttim) lt '15mar2020'd) then precovid=1;

3. If you want a seconds comparison, both need to have a time component. 

if (dstarttim lt  dhms('15mar2020'd, 0, 0, 0) ) then precovid=1;

@emaguin wrote:

I wrote

put ivuedone datetime18;

Will that work?

Thanks,

Gene Maguin

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation