BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
amager
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

How to search for a string in files , i use find or findstr command x but no result.  

Anyone have a solution to this ? 

options noxwait; 
x " find ""data"" ""path/*.sas"""; 

/*or*/

sysexec(find "data" "path/*.sas"); 

Thanks .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Have you tried the /s option of findstr (i.e. search all subfolders, in the below example: subfolders of C:\Temp, and the folder itself)?

findstr /s/i/c:"proc print" C:\Temp\*.sas

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Oligolas
Barite | Level 11

Hi, is there a particular reason you want to use the x command?

and did you try to search in the Forum?

- Cheers -

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since you are using forward slashes, I take it your SAS runs on a UNIX platform. In that case, the tool of choice is grep:

grep "string" path/*.sas

To retrieve the result in SAS, do this:

filename oscmd pipe 'grep "string" path/*.sas 2>&1';

data found_strings;
infile oscmd truncover;
input found_line $200.;
run;

In case something fails, the 2>&1 will make sure that error messages end up in your dataset in place of the result.

amager
Obsidian | Level 7

Sorry @Kurt_Bremser , i'ts windows environment : we have just find or findstr choice instead of grep. it's work in a specific repository and not in all the workspaces files . 

@Oligolas : i found this solution in  https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/Searching-SAS-files-including-key-words-in-Windows-7/t...

for /r H: %i in (*.sas) do @findstr /i /m "obs=max" "%i"

but to replace H: by my macro-variable environment and var didn't work. i continue my resarch  ! 

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @amager,

Here's a simple example that works in my Windows 7 environment: A case-insensitive search for the phrase "proc print" in all *.sas files in directory C:\Temp\SAS. The search results are stored as character strings in dataset WANT.

filename test pipe 'findstr /i/c:"proc print" C:\Temp\SAS\*.sas';

data want;
infile test truncover;
input c $300.;
run;

If there were, e.g., *.sas7bdat files (i.e. SAS datasets) in the same directory, they would be searched as well (annoying Windows "feature").

amager
Obsidian | Level 7

@FreelanceReinh  Thanks for this answer like a said it's work for me but the problem with 'findstr' don't go in recursive to fetch all repository; i don't know way. 

Eg. if another file in : "C:\Temp\SAS1\" , didn't go back to fetch this repository. so i go for the second solution  :

for /r Z: %i in (*.sas) do @findstr /i /m "data" "%i"

I can run this command in windows cmd , but i can't run it in my SAS environment if a replace it with something like : 

filename x pipe 'for /r "&server_sas/" %i in (*.sas) do @findstr /i /m "data" "%i"'

Smiley Sad

EDIT : it's work prefectly with double quote " " : 

filename x pipe "for /r ""&server_sas/"" %i in (*.sas) do @findstr /i /m ""data"" ""%i"" "

Smiley Very Happy

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Have you tried the /s option of findstr (i.e. search all subfolders, in the below example: subfolders of C:\Temp, and the folder itself)?

findstr /s/i/c:"proc print" C:\Temp\*.sas

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation