BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
yellowcat
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a set of very old data entry forms built with FSEDIT. They have some nice features like copying and sorting the data when closing the data entry form. There is a simple menu with buttons that open a form for each of several SAS datasets. 

I am uncertain what changed - I am unable to enter data into the dataset. I can create a new record (Edit > Add New Record), but in that form, I am unable to type into any field. 

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

7 REPLIES 7
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

FSEDIt sounds like an echo from the past. But it is still there, even in SAS 9.4! I did a quick check and for me it worked as designed. I could add a row and enter values. Do you have proper access rights to the dataset? In order to troubleshoot this we would need to know your SAS release, operating system and the log that may show messages from FSEDIT that could be helpful.

Regards,

-- Jan.

yellowcat
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Jan, it is a blast from the past! We've inherited it and it is still useful, even if not ideal. 

I have SAS 9.4 TS1M2 on gnu/Linux 4.4.107-18.44

all the files are either rw*rw*r** and I am not the owner of any but I belong to the the group. 

what is weird is that aside from me and a coworker, other people in my work team who have the same access to the files can open the datasets, add records, AND edit those new records wtih the FSEDIT interface.

let me know if you need more information.

I am able to open the dataset with SAS as a table and add rows and edit, but it is easier using the FSEDIT interface, because it will run some of the code behind the form (to sort and copy the data elsewhere)

jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If this is Linux I can think of issues with your X11 setup. Are you using some emulator package in Windows? Or are you using a Linux (Gnome) graphical desktop? Some emulators can really play up and before you know it you are knees deep in key bindings and other assorted esoterica. Personally I use MobaXterm on Windows that has a built in X emulator. It does a great job straight out of the box. You may want to compare this with colleagues for whom it does work.

Hope this helps,

-- Jan.

Kaeslock223_
Fluorite | Level 6

Did you build your fsedit interface or did it come with it? The window that pops up for our records is jumbled and not in a standardized table. We're trying to learn how to use it at my company.

ballardw
Super User

@Kaeslock223_ 

You will be better off starting your own topic than reviving and old one that likely has little in common with your needs.

Be prepared to share a details of your environment, set up and installed SAS modules as FSEDIT without SAS/FSP has very little functionality. SAS/FSP is also a pretty specialized tool.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Kaeslock223_  As stated in the year 2020 discussion you "hijacked": Blast from the past

Don't build anything new with FSEDIT. You just create technical debt latest for the day when your company migrates to Viya.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If it works for some users/sessions and not others then check and see if you have different settings between the two settings for some options the options. 

Perhaps FMTERROR option. Or VALIDVARNAME?

Also look and see if there are any semaphore files in that directory.  Sometimes SAS will create a special file with something like .lck extension to tell itself that something has a lock on particular dataset.  Not sure if FSEDIT does that but if the permissions on that file are wrong then it might cause issues.

Check the permissions on the directory that contains the file.  Perhaps you are not in the right group.

Check that you haven't been pushed out of the group.  Our Unix systems (REL) only allow an individual to be in 15 (16?17?) groups.  Sometimes the admin group adds a new group to your id and some other one you need is pushed off the end so effectively you no longer have permission for that group.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation