BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Kyra
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I am trying to see if there is association between number of pills prescribed after surgery (exposure) and number of pills consumed (outcome).

My dataset looks like below. I want to adjust for age, gender, prior medicine use.

Please let me know hoe should i do that.

I cannot use linear regression and and am not sure if i should use logistic regression or not considering 9 levels of my outcome variable. Thank you very much in advance.

Prior medicine Use

Number of pills consumed

Number of pills prescribed

Yes

1 to 4

Yes

No

5 to 9

Yes

1 to 4

No

No

5 to 9

Yes

No

15 to 19

No

1 to 4

Yes

30 +

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Do you have the actual number of "pills consumed" available instead of the category? Is that actually a character variable or an ordinal (0,1,2 etc.) with a format to display the range each value represents?

How many records do you have? Since Age potentially has a range on the order of 1 to 100 then adjusting for age, gender and prior medicine use potentially has about 400 combinations. So there could be some issues about having enough data in each combination. Or do you intend to group age by age ranges?

Could you provide an example of the sort of question(s) your analysis should answer? The type of answer you want may indicate a choice between approaches.

Kyra
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you very much for the reply.

I do not have the actual number of pills consumed. It is in categories. If patient consumed 3 pills he answered 1-4.

Our question, number of pills consumed had 9 levels - The patient picked from them.

I have 100 surveys right now and we are still collecting. I can group age into categories if required.

The question i intend to answer is:

Does increased prescription size leads to increase in medicine use? Is there a pattern between prescription and usage of medicine.

NumberPills consumed

1 to 4
10 to 14
15 to 19
20 to 24
25 to 29
30+
5 to 9
unknown

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation