BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
iabdel
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am new to SAS

I received this very long SAS script from a client, the SAS scripts writes to a PDF and HTML files, I have to change some of the phrases to be in Arabic language.

the output was not pleasant, the Arabic came left to right oriented, it should be right to left, the Arabic letters came disconnected from each other.

I know I have to add encoding (UTF-8) somewhere, I don't know where

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hagay
SAS Employee

Hello,

Regarding UTF8 you didn't mention which SAS interface you use (Enterprise Guide, SAS Studio, SAS Display Manager) but if you have SAS installed on your local Windows computer (versus on a server) you should have a programs shortcut named SAS 9.4 (Unicode Support) which will start a UTF8 SAS session. If your SAS is on a server than you need the administrator to switch the SAS on the server to UTF8 which have some consequences that needed to be considered.

However, if you only need English and Arabic I don't think that you need UTF8.

Aligning text right to left requires a little work. You can try various solutions like this or this.

I have no idea why the Arabic letters are not connected to each other. Did your SAS include Arabic when it was installed (assuming it is installed on your local Windows computer do you have an "ar" folder under C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls)?

Hagay

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Hagay
SAS Employee

Hello,

Regarding UTF8 you didn't mention which SAS interface you use (Enterprise Guide, SAS Studio, SAS Display Manager) but if you have SAS installed on your local Windows computer (versus on a server) you should have a programs shortcut named SAS 9.4 (Unicode Support) which will start a UTF8 SAS session. If your SAS is on a server than you need the administrator to switch the SAS on the server to UTF8 which have some consequences that needed to be considered.

However, if you only need English and Arabic I don't think that you need UTF8.

Aligning text right to left requires a little work. You can try various solutions like this or this.

I have no idea why the Arabic letters are not connected to each other. Did your SAS include Arabic when it was installed (assuming it is installed on your local Windows computer do you have an "ar" folder under C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\nls)?

Hagay

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation