BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Discaboota
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey Guys,

I have tables by the name : CASA_MONTH_END_31JAN23.

I want to make a macro where the Date should change to the current month on the 2nd of every month.

e.g. If the current month is February and today is Feb 2nd then the date should be changed to 28FEB23 and table will be CASA_MONTH_END_28FEB23. this table will be used till 1st March, then on 2nd March it should Change to March.

Please Help.
Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Perhaps you mean you want a macro variable and not a macro? (Macro variable and macro are different things, you should not confuse them or refer to macro variables as macros)

data _null_;
    if day(today())=1 then month=intnx('month',today(),-1,'e');
    else month=intnx('month',today(),0,'e');
    call symputx('month',put(month,date7.));
run;
%put &=month;

Additional suggestion: appending month names in the format 28FEB23 to data set names are generally poor choices, as these data sets will not sort chronologically, and it requires people to correctly identify the last day of the month (which isn't hard to do, but could still be a cause of errors). Better would be to name the data sets with months in the format 2023M02, which would sort properly, and would not require people to identify the last day of the month in order to use the data set. You could then use the format YYMM7. instead of DATE7.

--
Paige Miller
Discaboota
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey, Thank you so much for the reply. I have a question, isn't this gonna change the date only on the specified date and not for the rest of the month? If I put this in my code, it is gonna change on the 1st day of the month but in my case, the 2nd day of the month. But for the 1st day, it is gonna take the current month's date. Can you please help me with it?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Discaboota wrote:

Hey, Thank you so much for the reply. I have a question, isn't this gonna change the date only on the specified date and not for the rest of the month?

The best way to get an answer to this question is to actually try the code and see what it does.

--
Paige Miller
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

When you date-name files (and this includes datasets), you should always use a YMD date, like 20230131. This makes subsequent handling, like archiving or simply deleting, much easier, and the files sort chronologically on their own.

Quentin
Super User

If you do want a macro, and not just a macro variable, @PaigeMiller's logic can be translated into a function style macro, e.g.

%macro monthend() ;
  %local monthend ;
  %if %sysfunc(day(%sysfunc(today())))=1 %then %let monthend=%sysfunc(intnx(month,%sysfunc(today()),-1,e),date7) ;
  %else %let monthend=%sysfunc(intnx(month,%sysfunc(today()),0,e),date7) ;
  &monthend
%mend monthend ;

%put CASA_MONTH_END_%monthend() ;
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Discaboota
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey, Thank you so much for the reply. I have two questions,
1- Isn't this gonna change the date only on the specified date and not for the rest of the month?
2- If I put this in my code, it is gonna change on the 1st day of the month but in my case, the 2nd day of the month. But for the 1st day, it is gonna take the current month's date. Can you please help me with it?

Quentin
Super User

On the first day of the month, it returns the last day of the prior month.

On every other day of the month, it returns the last day of the current month.

If you use the macro approach, you can make the code testable by adding a parameter for the value of today, e.g.:

%macro monthend(today=%sysfunc(today())) ;
  %local monthend ;
  %if %sysfunc(day(&today))=1 %then %let monthend=%sysfunc(intnx(month,&today,-1,e),date7) ;
  %else %let monthend=%sysfunc(intnx(month,&today,0,e),date7) ;
  &monthend
%mend monthend ;

You can then test dates like as below:

9    %put CASA_MONTH_END_%monthend() ;
CASA_MONTH_END_28FEB23

10   %put CASA_MONTH_END_%monthend(today="01Jan2023"d) ;
CASA_MONTH_END_31DEC22

11   %put CASA_MONTH_END_%monthend(today="02Jan2023"d) ;
CASA_MONTH_END_31JAN23

12   %put CASA_MONTH_END_%monthend(today="03Jan2023"d) ;
CASA_MONTH_END_31JAN23

13   %put CASA_MONTH_END_%monthend(today="31Jan2023"d) ;
CASA_MONTH_END_31JAN23

14   %put CASA_MONTH_END_%monthend(today="01Feb2023"d) ;
CASA_MONTH_END_31JAN23

15   %put CASA_MONTH_END_%monthend(today="02Feb2023"d) ;
CASA_MONTH_END_28FEB23
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation