BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DrAbhijeetSafai
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am using spanning header for the report. In that I am using underlined header by using across option. In this, I am not able to produce underline to the right side of the text of header. To add line to the left, I am adding spaces and that is producing the effect but even though I will use spaces after the text of spanning header, the underline is not going beyond the text itself. I am showing an example below.

I am using text something like "          This is the text to be displayed at spanning header          " (Note 10 blank spaces to each side of text while defining the variable) .

I am expecting results like

"__________This is the text to be displayed at spanning header__________".

But I am getting results like "__________This is the text to be displayed at spanning header". (Note no underline to the right side of the text).

The workaround I have found is to use a dot (.) to the right side of the text after spaces like this - 

"          This is the text to be displayed at spanning header          ." (Note the dot before closing double quotes.)

This is doing what I expect (that is extension of underline to the right side of the text), but that is causing a problem too. It is showing dot after the underline which is not looking good. It is displaying text like "__________This is the text to be displayed at spanning header__________." (Note the dot before closing double quotes.)

I request to kindly let me know if there is any way to remove this dot (.) after the end of underline without loss of underline to the right side of the text. 

Thanks in advance.

Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,

- Dr. Abhijeet Safai

Dr. Abhijeet Safai
Certified Base and Clinical SAS Programmer
Associate Data Analyst
Actu-Real
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DrAbhijeetSafai
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@ballardw , Thanks for your response.

I got the answer to this problem by using {style[borderbottomcoler=black]} option in the column statement of the proc report. The programme is on the server and I will need to type out each line again if I have to share it here so I am avoiding that. Please forgive me for that. (If you still think that I should share the programme, I will share if it is going to benefit others.) As I have found the answer, as mentioned above and as I have shared the answer to the question here, I am accepting this as a solution. 

Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,

- Dr. Abhijeet Safai

Dr. Abhijeet Safai
Associate Data Analyst
Actu-Real

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Could you please share the code you are using to generate the report so can see exactly how you are attempting this underline. Also share which ODS destination you are sending the output to.

For example if attempting to use the HEADLINE option in Proc Report that will only work for the ODS LISTING destination. So reports sent to ODS RTF, PDF or HTML will not show the underline.

I believe there are a few other approaches to underlining that only work for Listing or specific ODS destinations.

DrAbhijeetSafai
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@ballardw , Thanks for your response.

I got the answer to this problem by using {style[borderbottomcoler=black]} option in the column statement of the proc report. The programme is on the server and I will need to type out each line again if I have to share it here so I am avoiding that. Please forgive me for that. (If you still think that I should share the programme, I will share if it is going to benefit others.) As I have found the answer, as mentioned above and as I have shared the answer to the question here, I am accepting this as a solution. 

Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,

- Dr. Abhijeet Safai

Dr. Abhijeet Safai
Associate Data Analyst
Actu-Real

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation