BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi all,
I am working with one project to classify employers, I would like to find a dataset with all employers and employers’ description to match with my data. I wonder whether anyone here know a public data source including employers and employers’ description information, thank you!

Thanks,
Jade
4 REPLIES 4
Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9
Or any public data source with merchants and merchant descriptions , thank you!
Reeza
Super User

That costs $$$$ usually. 

You're essentially asking for a list of all companies, incorporated or not in a country - US I'm assuming?

Does that include every 7-11 and McDonalds, franchises separate from HQ? In every State and County?

SEC has this list, there will be others but usually we buy the data from a company called Dunn & Bradstreet. If you're affiliated with an academic institution I'd ask the librarian or check and see if you had access to WRDS or something similar for the US.

https://www.sec.gov/rules/other/4-460list.htm

Regarding classification, it depends on what you're trying to do....description will be text data so that will be an interesting exercise. The Dunn & Bradstreet data will have the NAICS code and many other business demographic data that help for clustering. 

Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you Reeza!
Yes, I want the companies names with appropriate description as below:

EmployerName Description
7-11. Convenient store
McDonalds Fast food company
HQ. video games
Bank of America. Banking company
Mayo Clinic Medical
Harvard Education
Target. Retail corporation

I don’t have access to WRDS, Any public data that include the NAICS codes for all employers? Thank you!
Reeza
Super User
If you're doing this for research I'd reach out to the Bureau of Labor Statistics to see if they have a list. Not an American, but I know the Canadian Stats agency has one.
Corporations, not necessarily the only companies that hire but a good place to start, must register State by State so each State will have their own listings.

NY is available here:
https://catalog.data.gov/dataset/active-corporations-beginning-1800

Which is why this data is typically sold.....it's hard to get to and consolidate. Imagine 50 different data sets all storing addresses differently.....

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation