BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bentleyj1
Quartz | Level 8

We (finally) upgraded from version 9.3 to 9.4.  Under 9.3 I customized the Editor quite a bit.  I added file shortcuts, customized the toolbars, and changed the preferences, keys and colors options. 

I still have 9.3 installed.  Can someone tell me the location and names of the 9.3 files that contain the settings I've changed so that I can move them to 9.4?

It would be great if this were documented this somewhere... I find lots of info and guidance about the installation and data migration processes but nothing about where desktop interface customization settings are stored.  But maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance.

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Somewhat scattered unfortunately.

Any editor keyboard macros:

In the old version (hopefully you still have access) from the Editor go to Tools>Keyboard macros>Macros, There is an Export button, highlight all of the macros you may have that want BEFORE exporting them. This creates a KMF file. Use the same menu path in the new version but use the Import button and navigate the KMF created.

Most of the appearance options, menues and such are kept in your SASUSER.PROFILE catalog, use Proc Cport to export the catalog and proc Cimport and maybe proc catalog to copy over the existing sasuser.profile to bring into  the new version.

Other custom editor settings and such are kept in the registry. In Windows you can export some of them using the WINDOWs regedit and Export from there. Again this is the Windows regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>SAS Institute Inc>Enhanced Editor. You can export select or complete sections by highlighting and then using the File>Export.

I found that the naming of some of the elements between versions of SAS complicated the import. The exported file is plain text. You could export your new settings and compare. if close enough you may be able to do a search and replace in the 9.3 version to get path names the same. Double clicking on the editted file was enough for me to bring the results into the windows registry. You may need administrator priveleges to do this.

If you are working on the same machine you may be able to edit directly in the editor. If a newer machine then Import using windows regedit. Good luck.

I would hope there's a better way but this is what I did going from 9.2 to 9.3.

NOTE: any existing Styles you try to migrate may have issues and even code that builds them from a SAS parent style may fail as additional things get added into the styles the inheritances change and the values to modify may not be there the same way.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Somewhat scattered unfortunately.

Any editor keyboard macros:

In the old version (hopefully you still have access) from the Editor go to Tools>Keyboard macros>Macros, There is an Export button, highlight all of the macros you may have that want BEFORE exporting them. This creates a KMF file. Use the same menu path in the new version but use the Import button and navigate the KMF created.

Most of the appearance options, menues and such are kept in your SASUSER.PROFILE catalog, use Proc Cport to export the catalog and proc Cimport and maybe proc catalog to copy over the existing sasuser.profile to bring into  the new version.

Other custom editor settings and such are kept in the registry. In Windows you can export some of them using the WINDOWs regedit and Export from there. Again this is the Windows regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>SAS Institute Inc>Enhanced Editor. You can export select or complete sections by highlighting and then using the File>Export.

I found that the naming of some of the elements between versions of SAS complicated the import. The exported file is plain text. You could export your new settings and compare. if close enough you may be able to do a search and replace in the 9.3 version to get path names the same. Double clicking on the editted file was enough for me to bring the results into the windows registry. You may need administrator priveleges to do this.

If you are working on the same machine you may be able to edit directly in the editor. If a newer machine then Import using windows regedit. Good luck.

I would hope there's a better way but this is what I did going from 9.2 to 9.3.

NOTE: any existing Styles you try to migrate may have issues and even code that builds them from a SAS parent style may fail as additional things get added into the styles the inheritances change and the values to modify may not be there the same way.

bentleyj1
Quartz | Level 8
Wow, thanks for the Fast reply. I really appreciate it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation