BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lchristensen
Obsidian | Level 7

If you know what ISPF Dialog Manager is, you're probably old like me.

We have a package for SAS on Windows that includes AF and FSP but not Viya. I might be able to get Viya if it replaces those. I'm fairly certain nobody is using either of those. We have the base SAS (V9.4.M) and EG and only have 5 licenses. I haven't used EG until today. I'm not sure prompts is what I really want.

The attached PDF is a start at something I'm going to do and SAS will be the prototype for it. Others will then go do something with Python or other languages and graphics packages to make available to our customers.

I'm just asking to be pointed to something I can use as a model for building the panels and hopefully how to take data from a panel for use in a data step.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'm assuming here that you are using SAS installed on Windows PCs. If you prefer to have a SAS-based solution then I'd point you at @Quentin 's %WINDOW or DATA step WINDOW as an easy one to learn and maintain with five PCs. I suggest you avoid SAS/AF if it is just a few menu screens you need as that's designed for more complex applications and is very rarely used these days. If you plan to migrate to SAS on servers in the future, then SAS/AF won't work anyway, and you would most likely need to go with a web interface. Sticking with simple WINDOW statements would be a good tactical choice for now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Quentin
Super User

Are you talking about local PC SAS, or SAS running on a server?

For SAS running on a server, there are plenty of options for web interfaces, both provided by SAS and roll-your-own.

But sounds like you want a local interface?  As you say, years ago that was the domain of SAS/AF and/or %WINDOW statement, which are still there, but are instant technical debt.  That said, if you're only looking for rapid prototype, %window might not be crazy to consider.

Another option for interfaces I have used is to ask someone to code up an interface in whatever .net language / tool is handy (I don't do this part), and the interface collects the user input values, then calls my SAS job as a batch job, and passes it the values (either via a database or simple file or even during the SAS invocation).  And the SAS job can return values to the UI, again by writing them to database, or a file, or as return codes.

Look forward to hearing from others.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I'm assuming here that you are using SAS installed on Windows PCs. If you prefer to have a SAS-based solution then I'd point you at @Quentin 's %WINDOW or DATA step WINDOW as an easy one to learn and maintain with five PCs. I suggest you avoid SAS/AF if it is just a few menu screens you need as that's designed for more complex applications and is very rarely used these days. If you plan to migrate to SAS on servers in the future, then SAS/AF won't work anyway, and you would most likely need to go with a web interface. Sticking with simple WINDOW statements would be a good tactical choice for now.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation