BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Marpole
Calcite | Level 5

I am working with many large datasets. Each dataset has millions of observations, and they range in size from 1GB to more than 100GB. I need generate for each variable the number of levels, missing levels, non-missing levels, number of observations, and the ratio of levels to observations. I am using the following code. However, SAS frequently reports insufficient memory and stops processing. I would like to learn a more efficient approach to producing the variable descriptions without running out of memory. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

proc freq nlevels data= mydata  ;

ods output nlevels=nlevels;

tables _all_ / noprint ;

run;

data want ;

if 0 then set mydata (drop=_all_) nobs=nobs ;

set nlevels;

total=nobs;

unique_ratio = nlevels/total ;

run;

proc print;

run;

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

1. You could increase the memory allocated to SAS.

2. You could reduce the number of variables analysed in one go, for example

tables _NUMERIC_

then

tables _CHAR_

instead of

tables _ALL_

3. You could remove obviously high-cardinality variables. For example BANK_ACCT_BALANCE will obviously have a very high NLEVELS whose calculation brings no value.

4. proc sql allows you to calculate number of levels, missing levels, non-missing levels, number of observations, and the ratio of levels to observations in one step. You need to explicitly code the variable names though, and the memory issue remains. But at least you only have one pass per variable.

Reeza
Super User
And make sure to suppress any displayed output.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation